Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

58t crank to 24t crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 58t crank to 24t crank

Has any one used the lingefelter conversion box to convert 58t crank signal to 24t signal. I got a 02 lq4 with factory ecm and harness but want to change motors to a 6.2l l9h. I will be getting rid of the vvt
Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

That's exactly what the The Lingenfelter TRG-002 module does.

I know its been used by people on this board, Just not sure whom.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 58t crank to 24t crank

+1

It converts 58x/4x to 24x/1x.

I've seen it used by many people.

I have been told to locate it away from excess heat (i.e. corner of engine bay is good location, e.g. where PCM is on a F-car).
Old 10-09-2015, 06:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run it in my fbody to trigger my ls3. It does exactly what it's supposed to but like said the guys weren't thinking a lot when they designed it. The box has an internal heat safety so if you mount it in the engine bay it can get hot enough to shut off. But the wires are too short usually to mount it anywhere other than close to the engine...My engine died 2-3 times sitting in traffic when there was no air moving. I since cut all the wires and extended the box to inside the cabin and just hid it up near the ac blower and all has been fine since
Old 10-09-2015, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awsome guys thanks for the info. looks like im going to bulid a 6.2l
Old 10-10-2015, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TRG mounting, temperature levels etc

The TRG-002 is designed to be mounted in the engine compartment and that is where it should be mounted. For electrical noise, electrical resistance and wiring integrity reasons the wires on the TRG-002 should not be extended to mount it outside the engine compartment.

Like any electronic device you have to be careful where you mount the TRG and how hot that location gets when the vehicle is in use, especially under load. The TRG-002 uses automotive underhood rated components so the components inside are designed/rated for operation at up to 125 deg C (257 deg F). The one exception to this is the LED itself (find me a compatible LED rated for 125 deg C operation and we will use it). This is the same temperature rating as the components used in most automotive OEM ECM and other underhood electronics. Very few electronic devices (microcontrollers etc.) are designed for use past 125 deg C. Most electronic products, including automotive products not designed for use under the hood, use industrial rated components (85 deg C max) or commercial grade use components (70 deg C max).

GM and the other OEM manufacturers perform testing and validation to ensure that the mounting location for the ECM and other electronic modules does not cause them to exceed the safe operating temperatures for the particular device. In some cases they may have to install reflective and/or airgap style heat shields to protect electronic modules from radiated heat exposure. In other applications they may manage airflow in the engine compartment to reduce local underhood temperatures.

Given the variety of vehicles that the TRG-002 gets used in and the variety of different engine configurations/additional components added to the engines in many of these installations we obviously can't perform the same application specific testing and validation.

If you mount the TRG in the same location as the OEM ECM and make sure it is not exposed to direct radiated heat then the TRG should not have any thermal related issues.

Keep in mind that the surface temperatures of exhaust manifolds, turbochargers etc. can easily exceed well over 500 degrees C (900 degrees F) under load. Temperatures can vary significantly under the hood of the vehicle.

As a side note, the very first TRG's (TRG-001's) used an ABS plastic enclosure. We had several of them come back with the enclosures deformed, some to the point where you could barely recognize the enclosure shape. We switched to a custom made glass filled nylon enclosure (similar material to the LS1/LS6 intake manifolds) and haven't had that problem anymore but that is an indicator of how how the parts can get depending on mounting location in the vehicle.

Originally Posted by redbird555
I run it in my fbody to trigger my ls3. It does exactly what it's supposed to but like said the guys weren't thinking a lot when they designed it. The box has an internal heat safety so if you mount it in the engine bay it can get hot enough to shut off. But the wires are too short usually to mount it anywhere other than close to the engine...My engine died 2-3 times sitting in traffic when there was no air moving. I since cut all the wires and extended the box to inside the cabin and just hid it up near the ac blower and all has been fine since

Quick Reply: 58t crank to 24t crank