Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! New to the LS thing building a LM7 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! New to the LS thing building a LM7 turbo

New to this building a 2003 LM7 5.3L w/862 heads stock intake Plan on using 5sp with a 75mm Turbo on E85 Shooting for 750hp

This is what I got so far:
stock cast iron lower end (new rings and bearings)
stock alum 862 heads
all ARP hardware

Was wondering what cam/rocker combos and head gaskets does everyone recommend. Any additional tips would be greatly welcome as I said I am totally new to the whole Gen3 LS thing.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

check out my turbo build thread, I did a similar build using a lm7 block and bored it out to 5.7 specs..

I used a Tu1 cam from speed inc which was originally designed for a 347 engine and a single 76mm turbo..

you can also get a custom cam specd out for your combo..

grab some ls9 head gaskets, keep the stock rockers and just upgrade the trunion bearings..
Old 10-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What vehicle will this setup be going into, and the approximate weight? If you can get me a little more information on the build I would be happy to recommend a camshaft for your particular combination.

As for the rockers and gaskets I would recommend sticking with the stock rockers and upgrade the trunions. GM MLS head gaskets would work out great, many people are running the LS9 gaskets with good success.

Thanks
Aaron @ Thompson Motorsports
Old 10-16-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Burken01
check out my turbo build thread, I did a similar build using a lm7 block and bored it out to 5.7 specs..

I used a Tu1 cam from speed inc which was originally designed for a 347 engine and a single 76mm turbo..

you can also get a custom cam specd out for your combo..

grab some ls9 head gaskets, keep the stock rockers and just upgrade the trunion bearings..
Thanks for the input!
Did you balance your crank after the upgrade to 5.7? (Debating on doing this myself now)
Old 10-16-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by thompson
What vehicle will this setup be going into, and the approximate weight? If you can get me a little more information on the build I would be happy to recommend a camshaft for your particular combination.

As for the rockers and gaskets I would recommend sticking with the stock rockers and upgrade the trunions. GM MLS head gaskets would work out great, many people are running the LS9 gaskets with good success.

Thanks
Aaron @ Thompson Motorsports
Thanks a lot Aaron!
It's going into 1980 Z 28 roughly 3200 pounds. As of right now I'm going to run the stock bore 5.3 stock compression ratio 9.5 I believe. ( i've also been kicking around the idea of opening to 5.7L) Running the stock 862 heads with a port match done, stock rockers with trunnion upgrades.( i'm really surprising everybody I've talked to told me to run the stock rockers! But I'm gonna take it from you guys that have done it) 75 mm turbo running at 8 to 14 pounds. No intercooler. Looking at running a stock truck intake still up in the air and don't know enough for the throttlebody size
Thanks again for the help Aaron!

Quick Reply: Help! New to the LS thing building a LM7 turbo