Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt LQ4 Compression Bleeding through rings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rebuilt LQ4 Compression Bleeding through rings?

So, long story short I bought an LQ4 completely disassembled for really cheap. Everything looked good, still had some crosshatching in the cylinders pistons looked good too. So, I honed out the bored using a drill hone, got new rings, bearings etc. The rings all gapped perfect out of the box, .020 and .022 or something like that if I remember right. Just did a valve lap job on the heads and installed those too. So the engine is a complete longblock at this time. Now, when I turn the engine over all you hear is bleed off through the bottom end. I don't hear much of anything coming through the valves. Its not easy to turn over by hand but I just hate all that air noise.

Now, having said all that, this is my first engine rebuild. I bought a book with great reviews and have followed it step by step. So I am new at this but it all seemed pretty straight forward.

So why is there this much bleedoff? Is it because the rings havent seated yet from me running it? Let me know what to do guys, thanks.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Surely someone knows, I googled the heck out of it and found nothing. In this video it looks like this guy is having the same thing happen.

I just want someone more experienced to make me feel better lol
Old 10-14-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Relax its completely normal, finish everything up.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Relax its completely normal, finish everything up.
Thanks a lot. I didn't mean to seem like I was freaking out, but I guess it was pretty obvious.

Thanks again
Old 10-14-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're turning it over by hand. Even at idle, an engine spins 12-15 x's a second. The higher the engine speed, the less time to "bleed off". Nothing to worry about...
Old 10-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by S10xGN
You're turning it over by hand. Even at idle, an engine spins 12-15 x's a second. The higher the engine speed, the less time to "bleed off". Nothing to worry about...
Ok thanks. It just sounds a lot different than when I turn my engine over that's in the car right now by hand. But as long as its ok for the air to bleed through the bottom end within a second or two with this new build, then I'm happy.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd be more worried if it didn't make enough compression to bleed off. Once you run it the rings will seat and it will be less but you will always have 5-10% leakage.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt LQ4 Compression Bleeding through rings?