Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me understand why I keep getting spec'd such rowdy cams?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
Actually, If I recall correctly you have the SNS 2 which has a LSA and advance of 110+3. My cam has a LSA and advance of 113+2. Your cam has twice as much overlap and one more degree of advance. The underlying valve events are quite different as well. It should make more low end and mid range power than my cam from how I've read Martin explaining it.

My car's current drive-ability doesn't bother me at all. I haven't driven a car with a larger cam so I cannot say what would or wouldn't bother me in that regard. I have just read that once you hit 10* of overlap and over 230 intake duration that things start to go down hill pretty quick as far as drive-ability in a street car is concerned. Not knowing the real world difference myself is why I inquired into the professionals.
Ground in advance means nothing, because advance is determined where you time the camshaft.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Out of those choices, I like the cam motion cam. I think "how a cam sounds" is absolutely irrelevant in comparison to how it performs. Tune it for driveability, then do the idle speed and timing tricks to get the sound you desire.

That cam motion cam probably has good power everywhere, drives like a dream, and has the most stable/quietest valvetrain of all the choices you listed.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Who tuned your car OP? I see you're in Missouri like me. In the St. Louis area, there isn't any better tuner than Shane Hinds. If you're more toward the Kanas City area, you should look up LSXkilr or Justin (Justune). If you are in the Midwest, I had a local guy tune my car, and he did a hell of a job.
Car was previously tuned by PatG by the previous owner. I'm planning on having Justune do my tune. I'm in the Springfield area and frequently travel between Springfield and St. Louis.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Show Me Speed is located close to Springfield I believe. They would also be a good option.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

You could always call one of them up, give them a cam spec that you came up with, and see if they think it would fit the bill. You could tell them you're looking for a cam in the ballpark of a 226/230 114LSA and see what they say.
EPS has a cam that is very close to this. LSA might be slightly different. Good lobe design for valve train longevity and power.

Also, a cam motion Titan 4 grind might be worth investigating as well. 227/232-113+4.

Honestly, most cams in the high 220's perform very well and will have similar characteristics. That Titan 4 has 3.5 degrees of overlap and would give you a very good blend of power and driveability.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
EPS has a cam that is very close to this. LSA might be slightly different. Good lobe design for valve train longevity and power.

Also, a cam motion Titan 4 grind might be worth investigating as well. 227/232-113+4.

Honestly, most cams in the high 220's perform very well and will have similar characteristics. That Titan 4 has 3.5 degrees of overlap and would give you a very good blend of power and driveability.
You want to know what's funny? The "Titan" cam is named after my son, Titan. Back when Cam Motion had that self cam naming contest, I submitted a bunch of different names, and they actually picked quite a few of the ones I came up with. Got me 1/2 price off any cam I want in the future. I haven't cashed in on that deal yet, but may be here soon.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You asked for a broad torque curve, Thats what overlap gets you... midrange torque...

You have an M6... they can typically take more cam than an auto...

You asked for a rowdier idle... ask a cam guy for that... and hes giving you more overlap.

The only way to get overlap in a camshaft is to put more duration on the lobe... thats why its bigger.

12.5 degrees of overlap is not an excessive amount... Any Good tuner should be able to tune that amount as well as they would 5 to 7.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

You want to know what's funny? The "Titan" cam is named after my son, Titan. Back when Cam Motion had that self cam naming contest, I submitted a bunch of different names, and they actually picked quite a few of the ones I came up with. Got me 1/2 price off any cam I want in the future. I haven't cashed in on that deal yet, but may be here soon.
That is really awesome! Not many people can say something like that. I actually used to think that the AFR "Mongoose" branded heads were named after your car - until I saw you run Darts.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That is really awesome! Not many people can say something like that. I actually used to think that the AFR "Mongoose" branded heads were named after your car - until I saw you run Darts.
Funny thing is I've owned AFR 205cc heads twice in my life and sold them each time before even installing them. The second time was due to the seller selling me heads that were misrepresented and not safe to run on my car, but that's another story.

I nicknamed my car "The Mongoose" because the mongoose is a known predator of the cobra. AFR had their heads named that before I named my car that.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I run a cam motion grind similar to that. I can take mine down to 1k rpms in 4th in lock up with no bucking.....and I'm no professional tuner.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The sound can be tuned in or out as well. Get a cam for the desired purpose. The sound is secondary.

But any of those should actually be pretty drivable.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I can vouch the Titan 4 from Cam Motion would be an excellent choice. Very good grunt through the power band.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

If you haven't talked to Geoff@EPS you should. From my experience he is more on the conservative side when spec'ing a cam and is more focused on low-mid range, drivability and throttle response than most.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for the sake of understanding, what role does compression play in the overlap/driveablilty situation? The previous cam was ran with stock 10:1 compression on 853 heads. The new cam is going to be run with 10.8:1 on the 243 heads. I've read that with more compression you can run more overlap but I've not seen either of those numbers quantified.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Added compression can help to mitigate and help offset the affects that additional overlap can cause.

With a longer overlap event, sometimes bottom end and off idle torque production can be affected negatively. With additional cylinder pressure already there with the addition of compression, you can get away with the longer overlap event costing some bottom end power output.

Quick Reply: Help me understand why I keep getting spec'd such rowdy cams?