Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building the Beast - 383 supercharged with Mamo top end

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is coming along awesome and like Vader said your attention to detail will pay off. Nice to see another Tony Mamo package being built. Nothing but praise for his packages and I'm also waiting to finish mine to see what this is all about keep us updated.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by KLR Z
Your car is coming along awesome and like Vader said your attention to detail will pay off. Nice to see another Tony Mamo package being built. Nothing but praise for his packages and I'm also waiting to finish mine to see what this is all about keep us updated.
Thanks KLR Z. Sorry forgot to respond to this one. Hope to see your car up and running soon!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:21 PM
9 Second Club

Default Tony Mamo Red Body LS Coils

I'm getting bored and antsy so decided to buy some more parts lol. I got ahold of Tony after I saw KLR Z's thread about new coil packs. I just have the LS1 style for my car and I've been reading a lot about doing a set truck coil packs. So after talking to Tony he has these new red body coils that have a 10-15% increase in spark energy. They'd look great on top of the engine too but I don't want to cover up my new valve covers when they come so I'm still going to relocate them. Probably to the frame rails again but we'll see how everything goes back together when I can get started again.

Injectors are coming tomorrow. Injector Dynamics had to make them so I'll post some pics.

Heard from some members here that my new Holley fuel pump is no good but I'm gonna stick with it. So we'll have to see how it does
Old 05-13-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I might have to hit Tony up... I want to go with LS3 coils, so I can get nicer valve covers.

Do you have a target completion date?
Old 05-13-2016, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
I might have to hit Tony up... I want to go with LS3 coils, so I can get nicer valve covers.

Do you have a target completion date?
These are real close to stock size so I'm sure they would work. Priced really well too. I bought sets for both cars.

I used to have a target completion date but we are past that now lol. Just waiting on parts. As soon as I get my rear end and front end from MWC I'll be able to fly through some stuff. I'm supposed to bring the car to the painter next Friday but I'll have to stall him a little.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club

Default ID1300s

Got my injectors today! Man are they pretty lol

Old 05-13-2016, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Red coils, purple injectors...where is this color scheme going?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BREWS02WS6
Red coils, purple injectors...where is this color scheme going?
Lol. You won't be able to see the coils
Old 05-14-2016, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do the coils compare to the firecore coils?
Old 05-14-2016, 10:52 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
How do the coils compare to the firecore coils?
I'm not too sure. I sent an email to Tony and I'll let you know what he says. I looked at Firecore wires but didn't realize they had coil packs too. I just looked at the Firecore ones now but I'm not sure the difference. I'll let you know when I find out.

I was thinking of having Firecore make my wires. Have you used them for anything?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
I'm not too sure. I sent an email to Tony and I'll let you know what he says. I looked at Firecore wires but didn't realize they had coil packs too. I just looked at the Firecore ones now but I'm not sure the difference. I'll let you know when I find out.

I was thinking of having Firecore make my wires. Have you used them for anything?
Definitely! I have their truck length wires. Worth the extra $40 over MSD's to me. They really are high quality. If I ever move my coils down to the frame rails I'll definitely be using them again.

I wonder if his are the same as the Holley coils...
Old 05-14-2016, 07:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Definitely! I have their truck length wires. Worth the extra $40 over MSD's to me. They really are high quality. If I ever move my coils down to the frame rails I'll definitely be using them again.

I wonder if his are the same as the Holley coils...
He said he's not sure how they compare lol. They're a little cheaper. He said they're not Holley coils either. They're very high quality though. I can take some more pics close up.

As soon as I start putting my car back together and figure out if I'm going to keep my coils on the frame rails or move them I will probably order Firecore wires too. I need a new set anyway.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything you'd like to share with the class?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club

LOL. Yeah I need to do an updated. Everything is going slow though. I am working on the cowl now. I just got done making cardboard cutouts, my clay idea didn't work too well lol. But the cardboard worked good. One of my neighbors just took all the pieces and is going to cut them out of 18 gauge steel with a water jet. Then I will tack weld all the pieces and then notch out the center to make sure I have clearance for whatever intake. Then I'll use Allmetal filler to make it look good and paint it. I'm also going to reinforce it a little with some 1/4" metal bar vertically before I finish it. Just a few pieces.

Also fit the intercooler and radiator. Cut out the center radiator support and I'm just going to weld some tabs with rubber ends to hold it in securely. I made some brackets for the intercooler to mount it up nicely.

Also cut some of the extra metal off and am having some lightweight reinforcement brackets made too.

11lbs more off the front

Bought some manual window regulators and door panels too. Real good shape

Also, valve covers will be done soon. Ready for engraving now

Last edited by 98_WS6_M6; 05-18-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you get the valve covers? I need some better ones...
Old 05-19-2016, 05:40 PM
9 Second Club

Where did you get the valve covers? I need some better ones...
Lol. 5L. I told you about these before. They're from Precision Metalcraft. They are very nice though. I'll send more pics when I get them. I'll probably do their intake too eventually.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought they looked familiar! I want to see what they look like after you engrave them.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:18 PM
9 Second Club

I thought they looked familiar! I want to see what they look like after you engrave them.
I'll definitely post up.

Talked to Midwest Chassis today. They are shipping out my k member today so I can get the motor back in the car and start getting everything fitted up!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club

Default update

Got a few little updates. Got my balancer swapped out. I decided to do an underdrive ATI balancer modified by Tony Mamo. It is lighter weight and has a better durometer rubber according to Tony.

2lb difference! My other one is not an underdrive so is larger anyway but I like the weight savings off the crank.

I also got my gauges planned out for now. I think I'm going to do the 2 wideband holley gauges on the sides of the Autometer speedo and tach and put a little shift light in between. Then my Holley screen will go where the radio went. I got some plastic to do this but I decided to make them fit more custom. I'm having my neighbor make my cardboard cutouts out of aluminum and I'll probably wrap it in vinyl or something. I have to find a vinyl that matches and where to buy it still. One step at a time lol.

I talked to Brian at Racewire Solutions and my harness is next in line so shouldn't be long for that now. Should be an easy install as well. I've talked to a few guys about it. It's taking awhile but I'll be happy when it gets here.

MWC is waiting to hear back about my upgraded bearings but everything is about ready. I also did a lightweight rem polished gear set. K member should be here soon so I can get the engine in and start working on the intercooler piping and all the other little odds and ends.

And lastly a pic of the car. I had to set the hood on just to see

Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

2 pounds off the cranks is great! I never knew that Tony's ATI was lighter than the regular ATI,. so thanks for that info.

What time and MPH are you targeting at the track?

I really like the gauge pod look. Especially that bottom picture. Its been a long time since someone has documented a build of this magnitude

Quick Reply: Building the Beast - 383 supercharged with Mamo top end