Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched to Mobil 1 0-W40, now less oil pressure and higher temps

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible someone bought this 0w40, put it in their car, poured some junk oil into the bottles, then returned them to the store for refund. That's the only thing that makes sense here. Mobil 1 would not send out a bad batch of oil that looks nothing like the rest of the 0w40.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Patman#1 - oil question

So BMW, Lexus, Benz have been installing sealed transmission (no dip stick filler tubes) in their transmissions for years - My 96 MBW has such a unit. On the "Auto Transmission" topic cite, they tell me that the new Vettes have sealed transmissions too.

My neighbor, a Snap-On tool guy tells me these luxury manufacturors are starting to now manufacture SEALED ENGINE CRANKCASES too.

What do you know about these; when does GM expect to switch to sealed engine crankcases?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

i just put 15-40 in my ls1 cause i didn't like my oil pressure. i'm gunna change the pump soon. i got the car 2 weeks ago, don't know what kind of oil it had but warm idle pressure was just below 20. now with 15-40 its about 50 cold and 35 warm.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I changed the thermostat and radiator cap and it seems to have corrected the problem. Now showing hot idle of just over 40 psi and cold idle around 50 psi which is better than it was with the Valvoline Synpower 10W-30 by ~5 psi.
Temp gauge is reading normal again.
I guess it was just a coincedence that it happened when I switched oil brands.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Patman
The 97SS's that got the synthetic oil package came with Castrol Syntec 5w30
Nope. The 97 got Quaker State Synthetic. There is a Quaker State plaque in the engine bay.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Well first make sure you check the oil level. I run 6 quarts in mine. My oil pressure was 20 psi from day one from the factory with zero problems. I did shim and port the original oil pump (which showed no signs of failure) and pump up the psi about 5-7 psi at idle and driving.

You could always change the oil again to see if it's really the oil. It could also be just engine wear catching up after 102K miles.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Banned

let me add something to this entire thread....TRUSTING THE FACTORY GAUGE is WORTHLESS..........they are absolutely a shot in the dark at best!...you want to know the REAL oil pressure? install a calibrated MECHANICAL gauge.......otherwise what you see means one thing ....if the gauge moves you have oil pressure..how much nobody knows........let me tell you a little something i've seen....factory ls1 gauge says 45 psi@ idle...calibrated test gauge says 22 psi @ idle.....ls1 fac gauge says 60 psi @ 4000 rpm.......test gauge reads 44 psi.......now tell me pilgrims.....which would you believe?
Old 12-02-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice