Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issue after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issue after cam install

finished installing my cam at 4 am yesterday...the car seems to run good except for one small thing...at low rpms it feels like it is slow to respond to the petal...the cam is a 224/230 on a 112LSA...is this an issue that can be solved with tuning or is this abnormal..everything else seems fine and at WOT its quite nutty
Old 06-12-2004, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuning will help a bit, but you're going to have a little less low end torque regardless. Some 4.10's can help that though .
Old 06-12-2004, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

your probably pig rich. And 4.11 will HELP but not cure it...I still feel it a bit myself.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a maft will help out until you get tuning...
Old 06-12-2004, 07:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

definetly sounds like you need a good tune. probbly loading up with fuel and then leans out in higher rpms.
hows the idle? any stalling ? check engine lights?
Old 06-12-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beast
finished installing my cam at 4 am yesterday...the car seems to run good except for one small thing...at low rpms it feels like it is slow to respond to the petal...the cam is a 224/230 on a 112LSA...is this an issue that can be solved with tuning or is this abnormal..everything else seems fine and at WOT its quite nutty
mine acts stupid sometime also, i think with alot of big cams im noticing that the pedal is somtimes slow to respond off a idle
Old 06-12-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the only time it stalls is when the a/c is on and thats not all the time. when i start it up it drops down to 200 rpms just about everytime. my check engine light is still on since i dont have my rear o2s. i was running rich before i got the cam due to the headers, but i wasnt sure if putting the cam in would cause me to run richer
Old 06-12-2004, 01:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

sounds like the idle circut is extremlly rich and still trying to relearn what it can on a stock tune plus you probbly have other codes besides rear o2's . a good tune would probbly clear up most of your concern plus see what you do have for codes . i had mine tuned while we put the cam in and he hit it right on the money first shot, done a few cars and a good feel for it. after a week the hot startup idle dropped to 500-600 and back up to normal leaned out a tad more and been perfect ever since.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess i ready your mind badpewterz cause i just got back from autozone and yea, i do have more than one code. i had one for egr,02s, and one for random misfires?? it was P0300...is this a tuning issue or something with my plugs?????...i just changed out my plugs to ngk55 and put in taylor 409 wires..all the plugs were gapped at .5 so i want to believe its a tuning issue. however i can feel it misfiring at low rpms...
Old 06-12-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Smile

i guess i ready your mind badpewterz cause i just got back from autozone and yea, i do have more than one code. i had one for egr,02s, and one for random misfires?? it was P0300...is this a tuning issue or something with my plugs?????...i just changed out my plugs to ngk55 and put in taylor 409 wires..all the plugs were gapped at .5 so i want to believe its a tuning issue. however i can feel it misfiring at low rpms...
It is almost definitely a tuning issue. I have a very large cam in my 94 Z-28 and it would spit and sputter and lug around in the low RPM range until it hit around 2500+ then it would go pretty good. The above post are right about you most likely being very rich and it will kill your low end. You just need someone to tune it with Edit or HP Tuner or you could do like was said and add a MAFT to lean it out in the lower RPM range, but this is not nearly as effective as a full tuning package.

Their is also a link in the PCM Section about how to fix your idle and stalling.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/177230-stop-drilling-those-tbs-fix-stalling-without-computer-tuning.html
Old 06-12-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this may be pretty stupid question but what is a maft??
Old 06-12-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monodax
It is almost definitely a tuning issue. I have a very large cam in my 94 Z-28 and it would spit and sputter and lug around in the low RPM range until it hit around 2500+ then it would go pretty good. The above post are right about you most likely being very rich and it will kill your low end. You just need someone to tune it with Edit or HP Tuner or you could do like was said and add a MAFT to lean it out in the lower RPM range, but this is not nearly as effective as a full tuning package.

Their is also a link in the PCM Section about how to fix your idle and stalling.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177230

i checked the link...sounds like an awesome idea...but i dont have autotap or anything equivalent
Old 06-12-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Smile

i checked the link...sounds like an awesome idea...but i dont have autotap or anything equivalent

This is a MAFT, http://www.vetteguru.com/mods/maf/

It allows you to pull or add fuel at different load conditions. I have one if you want to buy it, I will take 100.00 shipped if interested. I just purchased HP Tuners kit for 500.00 last week so I no longer need it.

I also have an Autotap interface that is the GM Enhanced version if you are interested as well. I just haven't got around to posting this stuff in the for sale section.