Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016 | 09:56 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Default Camshaft Clearance

Got the block back from the machine shop for a second time.... I took it back because i couldn't get the camshaft installed. I think they just forced it in there and told me some line about cam bearing crush. The first time it was in there they installed new durabond cam bearings for me along with boring the cylinders.

Anyway now that the cam is in there i can't turn it by hand, or even with the timing gear installed i can not turn the cam. If I put a socket on the gear bolts i can turn the cam with the rachet. This does not seem right to me and is way to tight.

Am I incorrect in thinking this? I'm starting to wonder if they installed the cam bearings in the wrong order or something. What should the clearance be between the camshaft and the bearings?
Old 01-06-2016 | 10:11 PM
KCS
15 Year Member

Happens a lot. Sometimes there is very little clearance and sometimes the bearings will get a nick on it when they get installed. My first cam was too tight and only had about .0005" clearance in some spots. Local shop turned it down and polished it. Second cam I ordered from Comp with 2.1640" journals and had plenty of clearance.
Old 01-07-2016 | 12:15 AM
On The Tree

I know if i couldn't turn my cam by hand, i wouldn't run it,
definitely don't want a spun cam bearing.. And id think that's just what might happen if you tried to run that cam from what you described.. But i don't know, have never had it happen to me.. But yeah i totally wouldn't run it like that..

You can buy a $90 ls cam bearing install and removal tool on ebay, though its by far not the best and it will nick up your bearings really bad if your not careful.. Can buy ya some new bearing for 30 or so bucks, idk how much the shop charges ya, but thats what id do, iv had way too many bad experiences with a machine shop.. at lest the one where i live..

MABBCO is not the place for me lol ..

But yeah i say your not wrong at all for thinking this.. sounds like you know very well about the different years, bearing bore sizes and the order they go in.. something isn't right whether it be cam journal diameter or wrong order or size/year bearings, or just tight clearances.. have a good look at her..

When i installed mine, the tool really nicked them up, so i used some emery cloth and diesel to clean the nicks up, once cam installed, i was able to turn by hand..

Maybe you could do this as well if your ok with it, just make sure to go completely around the bearings evenly..

And as for cam bearing clearances, though i do not know, id be leaning toward anywhere from 0.003 to 0.0035 maybe even 0.004.

Guess 0.0025 would be ok, any less than that and i would be worried..

Here have read at this https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...learances.html

neways yeah man hope this helped peace

Last edited by the404man; 01-07-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2016 | 09:56 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I need to measure the clearances on all the journals. I wouldn't think I need to clearance the camshaft as it was running in this same engine before with no issues. I wish i left the stock cam bearings in there.....

Is there a manufacture of cam bearings that is better than another? Was thinking about trying king bearings, as that is what i used for the mains and rods and they all spec'd out.

I guess if all the bearing clearances are close to the same then turning the camshaft down would be the easiest route. However, if they are inconsistent it looks like I need to get another set of bearings.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Clearance