Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mile ls1 build a ticking time bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mile ls1 build a ticking time bomb?

I bought a bone stock 01 ws6 six speed car a couple of months ago with 175k. Car carries around 35lbs of oil pressure warm at idle. The other night it faded to about 25-30 found a oil leak. Car has a noise when cold but quiets down when warm. I have a nitrous kit laying around and will probally throw it on. I'm wondering should I freshen the motor up or just start throwing parts at it? I.e cam,headers,exhaust,clutch,rear end etc? Just would like keep this thing alive awhile. Car runs awesome and is super all the way around. Any input would be great. I've searched and found many threads on this topic but thought I'd get some advice from people who have been through this process
Old 01-09-2016, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your going to do a cam I would put a new set of lifters in. The stock cam lobes wear down and start to damage the lifters. You should see how bad they can get.

Oil pressure not sure what to tell you, it's all about restriction. The more restriction the more oil pressure to a certain point. My ta had around 30 when warmed up, had a napa gold oil filter on it, car ran fine. Changed to a ac delco filter and the needle has not dropped below 40 yet. I'm sure the difference in oil I used could have something to do with it but I figure the ac delco filters are cheap and do not flow well. Go to the website bob is the oil guy and learn about oil if you wanna get into detail.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I figured I'd do complete top end when I do it. I'll probally put a pump in just insurance
Old 01-09-2016, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ls what?
Thanks for the info. I figured I'd do complete top end when I do it. I'll probally put a pump in just insurance
If you're doing that, you might as well remove and clean the pickup tube and screen as well.

IF you EVER plan on corner carving, or open tracking this ride, an Improved Racing baffle and crank scraper is also a great idea while the pan is down.

BTW; the stock oil pressure gauge, while not as bad (inaccurate/'averaging') as the stock coolant gauge, is NOWHERE NEAR as reliable for correct/steady readings as an aftermarket o.p. gauge/sensor set up.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probably living on borrowed time after a cam swap. Those bearings arent going to like spinning high rpms.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
probably living on borrowed time after a cam swap. Those bearings arent going to like spinning high rpms.
I thought about just rebuilding it. I'm going to to put heads on anyway. Plus still stock clutch so that will need done too.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Make sure you change the oil pump o-ring.

Quick Reply: High mile ls1 build a ticking time bomb?