Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird crank bearing wear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird crank bearing wear?

This the front bearing of an 2003 LQ4 with about 50k on it from a wrecked express van. The right hand (#2 piston side if the block was right side up) side of the bearing is highly polished as if it was wearing rapidly. All other crank and rod bearings had unremarkable wear, including the cap side for this bearing. Is this indicative of an off center bearing in the block or is this some kind of wear caused by the timing chain or oil pump?

http://postimg.org/gallery/35erk2wh2/
Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Currently working on a 2004 LQ9 and the front bearing looks just like the one in the OP. I'm curious about opinions on this as well.

Crank measurements check out ok. Motor had over 100K miles.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

I took a couple of measurements with my dial calipers and the shiny spot measures .096. The rest of the shells measured .097 as well as #2, #4, and #5. I put plastigage down on all five mains and I'll torque them down tomorrow to see what kind of clearances I've currently got. All this is going to a shop eventually, I just want to be prepared for any bad news.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Plastigage is showing .02" clearance MAX on all 5 bearings, even #1. I'm wondering if this isn't a combination of oil pump and timing chain side thrust causing the crank to deflect slightly. I've never heard of this happening before and was hoping someone would have seen this before. Anyone?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iv seen on every gen3 iv taken apart the bearings on the two mating ends have that wear.. though the wear you have on the rest of the bearing looks great, me i wouldn't worry one bit about it.. Well from what iv seen in my engines though only slightly modified.. your bearing wear is just fine but i don't know much..

But yeah on to why im replying is, to find out if you have head anything as to what causes this bearing mating end wear.. and even the other wear..

peace and thanks

Quick Reply: weird crank bearing wear?