Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP!!!ordering oversize LS1 pistons

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP!!!ordering oversize LS1 pistons

I am rebuilding my 2000Z28 SS and the amount to clean up bores is not yet known but I'm hearing two schools from reputable people...one tells me to trash the black after over 10 thou to clean up ,,,another engine builder to me has gone +30 over on the later aluminum block no problem at all...this is going to be a mildly pepped up DD and going to use Mahle/Clevites flat top hypereutecks and they are available in the 10,20,30 over persuations...What gives???? I sure as heck cant afford a new block but my machinist says just order the 20's and he'll bore for that.....So I'd love to hear as many experiences and professional opinions as possible before the throw my block under the boring bar..the engine had 147K and lost a lifter roller....my new cam is going to be a XR265HR with the Z06 upgraded blue springs the 241 heads will just be getting smooth and cleanup port work with equalizing flows so do I trash over the block if over 10thou or let 'er rip for the 10,20, 30 whatever the old girl may need??????????HELP GUYS!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 PM
Banned

Unless you had something go wrong in the motor and it damaged the bores or it sat with water in them, they should clean up at .010" - I've gone .020" as well, its such a minimal difference in material removal per side of the bore that you'd never know the difference.

Make sure your block is being honed with main caps torqued and deck plates on both banks.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Thank you so much my friend...there was nothing like that ,..my car had a 1st owner who I guess lost interest in keeping up oil changes or used crap for oil...do you think the .030 would go too far? I might as well pick up a hair of displacement if I can...as I said my cam will be a nice mild Comp XR265HR hi-lift version..it will be bored and then decked just as you said because the new pistons all have .010 reduced comp height it seems...will be using new OEM head gaskets.....with a mild stall to let the engine get a lil jump out of the hole I'm thinking this things going to be a blast to drive and still give me some decent MPG

Quick Reply: Need HELP!!!ordering oversize LS1 pistons