Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 200k+mile 400whp rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 200k+mile 400whp rebuild

I am looking for advice on my ls1 rebuild.

Cam:

I am looking into either the street heat stage 2, or torque max 2, tourquer v2 cam, low 23x's duration, possibly high 22x's on the intake side. I dont have any brand loyalty at this point.

My goal is a reasonably streetable, 400rwhp. I want it to sound cammed, but retain stock gears. Id like to be able to drive this to work, as well as hit a road course, and probably a few drag strips along the way. No current plans for FI, or spray.

and given that my pistons have 200k+ on them, are replacements recommended? The skirts do have visible wear, and the tolerances are at the biggest end of spec, or slightly bigger. No idea at this point on pistons.

If I replace pistons, should I bore out the more, or stick with just a light hone of the cylinders?

Id like to be able to rev to 7000k rpm, should I get arp rodbolts, or new rods? I have been looking at scat i beams.

Springs? I was thinking dual springs due to my valves being solid, and the higher lift.

And particular bearings or rings that would be preferred?

Injectors, will the stock ones work? What would be recommended here as well.

Other parts I plan on running,

ls7 lifters
ls2 trays
ported ls6 pump
trunion upgrade
some sort of stronger pushrod

Already have ls6 intake, ported tb, will be getting 1 7/8 headers, and have a magnamouth catback.

Eventually Id like to port the 799's. or replace with afr 225 or similar, but budget is currently not allowing that. Eventually this will be done(hopefully), and the goal would then be 440-450whp.

So with that said, Id like to keep the rest of the build budget friendly, but I dont want to have to do it again.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Is start with calling places like Thompson Motorsports and seeing what they can offer at what prices. They have great prices and customer service
Old 01-26-2016, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I make exactly 400RWHP, but I am using the TSP 5.3 Stage 2.5 ported heads. My cam is a Comp Cam with 223/231@.050" .610"/.617". Has some lope with 15" vacuum at idle, excellent street manners and pulls very hard in the mid range topping out at 6500 RPM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am looking further into pistons and rods, and it look like my crank will need to be cut down .010, as there are some light groves in the bearing surface. Local shop wanted $145, that seems high, is it?

Is there a rod bolt upgrade that would allow me to use the stock rods, wouldnt mind saving a couple hundred dollars.

Pistons, I am not sure if I should reuse them, or should I get some replacments. There are probe pistons on the ws6 store for ~$360, but the are for a 3.902 bore, and if I was to go out to that size, the same shop was around $225. I will post pictures of the skirts for opinions. And good cheaper pistons that can be used on my block with just a hone?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here, $140ish is average for that work on the crank.

Do your pistons have any vertical grooves in them on the skirts (that can catch a finger nail)? If your piston to wall tolerances are still in the specified range after a quick ball hone, you're fine to reuse them as long as their is no damage to the sides of the skirts/deck/ring lands... if you are out of the tolerance range you will rather get some slapping or oil consumption.

As far as rod bolts go, the ARP 134-6006 can be found for around $85. You will probably need to have your rods resized on the big end for about $150.

Personally, if I didn't need pistons I would just be putting rod bolts in. If you need to bore the cylinders and get new pistons, you might as well buy rods since the rotating assembly has to be rebalanced anyway.

Quick Reply: Help with 200k+mile 400whp rebuild