Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milky oil after lq4 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016 | 07:18 PM
Teching In

Default Milky oil after lq4 swap?

Hi so this isnmy first swap and venture into 4 wheels. Ive only worked on ilder bikes till this point. So i pulled a 1999 lq4 out of a silverado. Chamged the oil when it was hanging on the hoist hooked it up to 4l80e and put in a 74 stepside. Truck has manifolds only and i fored it up a few times just to see it was ok before plumbingncooling system. Put dexcool in used all the radiatior and resevoir from 99. Deleted oil cooler it was in my garage with no heat and would start it once or twice a daynfor about 2 months 02s are not hooked up atm. Finally is road worthy aside from no exhaust just manifolds but pulled otnout of garage. Che ked the oil last Friday and milk shake. Changed the oil and took it up the road and back and just a hint of milk possibly leftover im not sure wating for headers and exhaust till i take it out again. When i changed the oil the first time no milk just black old gross oil. Anyone got any ideas its an lq4 with 160k. Would it be condensation after 30 or so quick starts and shut downs? Oil smells a bit like gas but without the 02s hooked up im womdering if its just in limp mode and dumping fuel. Thanks for any input still got a way to go just wondering if i should keep going.
Old 02-01-2016 | 07:28 PM
Launching!

Pulling the vehicle out of a heated garage into cold weather several times without reaching operating temperature will cause that. Repetitive short periods of a motor running will do that too.

I'm going to say it's probably normal from how you cycled the motor. These motors have dry intake manifolds and the odds of blowing out a steel head gasket are slim... the odds of cracking the block are even slimmer.

Change it one more time and you should be good. I have a 2002 Tahoe that I completely rebuilt (everything from front end to rear/lift/suspension/trans/brakes/lines except the motor and front differential) over a 1 year period of time without driving it, after installing the rebuilt trans my heart sank when I saw the milkshake oil! Ended up being exactly what I described.
Old 02-01-2016 | 07:32 PM
Launching!

Hook up those o2 sensors, too! If it is dumping fuel and the oil stinks like gas, you will scrub the cross hatching off the cylinder walls in no time.

I've never seen gas turn the oil to a milkshake though. I have had oil become flammable with a lighter from the ECM pinning the injectors wide open. In a matter of 15 minutes of running (changing the oil every 5 minutes) I had seen a significant amount of metal paste in the oil.
Old 02-01-2016 | 08:07 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks a bunch this was over a 2 month period and i will do. Fingers crossed for sure

Quick Reply: Milky oil after lq4 swap?