Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Motor Mods on LQ4 Swap - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016 | 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Default First Motor Mods on LQ4 Swap - Need Advice

First, thanks for taking the time to read this. I've searched around but found conflicting info on what is the best course of action on this. I'm looking to do the first mods on my drivetrain, but not sure where to start.

Lq4/4l80e bone stock in a 77 Pontiac Can Am that weighs 4000lbs. 373 gears, stock convertor, TBSS exhaust manifolds. I'd like to eventually get to around 450hp. Car is a driver and will see very little if any track action. Needs to be good on the highway since I will be long-hauling the power tour with it this year.

So, that said, where to start? Headers seem like a good idea, but due to space constraints in this chassis, best I'm probably going to see is some shorty type headers. Heads and cam seem smart. Unsure if I should go 243 or just mill the 317s (and by how much). Also don't really have any idea where to be on cam size but have thought about a truck cam just based on weight and use of the car.

Suggestions? What's your experience been? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016 | 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Heads cam and exhaust for sure.When you say 450hp are we talking at the crank or what you want at the wheels?

Milled 243 heads .030 will be a nice bum up in compression,followed with a nice street cam in the 226-230 range,new valve springs/pushrods and a free flowing intake and exhaust will get you to around 400whp. A proper setup car wont need to make high hp to run like a beast on the street when it performs well all around.
Old 02-08-2016 | 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

400 at the wheels would be cool. Would like to stick with the truck intake since I've got all the truck accesories with it. Looking at ebay LS swap headers or these:

http://kmjperformance.com/patriot-h8...FQgcaQodiRQGeQ
Old 02-08-2016 | 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

Talk to some of the vendors on here for complete cam kits and there will be a wealth of options on good daily driving cam setups that arent hard on the valve train and make good midrange power to redline.I would keep you eyes open for good set of used 243 heads and keep in mind for the hp you want.. a stock stall may not be best suited anymore.

Quick Reply: First Motor Mods on LQ4 Swap - Need Advice