Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Removal from 2004 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Removal from 2004 GTO

So first off, I know i'm over my head slightly with the needed skill to do this, but that's half the fun! I know i could take it somewhere and have them do it, but where's the fun in that?

What I have is a 2004 GTO and it's LS1. My kiddo recently totaled it, ripping off the front right and rear left wheels, bending the frame and a handful of other things. Fortunately, everything under the hood is in good condition. What I want to do is pull out the LS1 from the GTO and put it in a 74-77 Corvette (yet to be purchased).

I have seen a handful of videos on removing the engine on camaros and vettes, and they all remove it from the bottom. In my case, I don't have a lift to use, just jack/jackstands and cinder blocks, and i don't think its a smart idea to come through the bottom when most of the front right suspension has been destroyed. Pulling from the top seems like the best option, plus since the car is dead to me, removing or cutting body parts isn't out of the question.

My questions:
I have a cherry picker with leveler, but not 100% sure where to secure the bolts.

I have already disconnected most of the wires and harnesses and hoses, will VATS be an issue when I move it to the new car? If so, what are my bypass options? Again since this will be going into a project and most of the components in the original work, I can scavenge what is needed.

Any other gotchas?
Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the kiddo needs a 3 cylinder Geo metro, C3 Vette is gonna handle worse than a GTO and offer no crash protection whatsoever. Unless you are confiscating his LS1 for your own purposes...
Old 02-11-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Sounds like the kiddo needs a 3 cylinder Geo metro, C3 Vette is gonna handle worse than a GTO and offer no crash protection whatsoever. Unless you are confiscating his LS1 for your own purposes...
It's actually my car, not his. He was borrowing it while his truck was getting some work done to it. I already have a C7 vette, and have been lusting after a C3 resto-mod for sometime. Now I have an engine, just need everything else. The kiddo can keep his wrangler.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts

The engine can be 100% removed from the top of the GTO.

In terms of mounting points for the load leveler, I use four M10x1.5 holes on the cylinder heads. There is one hole on each face of the head. This centers the load leveler over the motor. You can leave the transmission connected or get under the car and pull it.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds like a fun project. You have the Corvette yet? Personally I always liked the convertible C4's the best, looks like a hot wheels car for the street.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
The engine can be 100% removed from the top of the GTO.

In terms of mounting points for the load leveler, I use four M10x1.5 holes on the cylinder heads. There is one hole on each face of the head. This centers the load leveler over the motor. You can leave the transmission connected or get under the car and pull it.
Cool, thanks for the info!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by AronZ28
That sounds like a fun project. You have the Corvette yet? Personally I always liked the convertible C4's the best, looks like a hot wheels car for the street.
Not yet, I haven't found one in the right condition. Most of the C3s I have come across are working and have numbers matching engines; I don't want to be the guy that potentially ruins (or takes) someone else's restore.

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2016, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

do what muhthugga said. i've done it that way on 3 different gto's and
had zero issues. once you get the radiator / fans, and accessories out
of the way, you have tons of room to pull it.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by elephantrider
do what muhthugga said. i've done it that way on 3 different gto's and
had zero issues. once you get the radiator / fans, and accessories out
of the way, you have tons of room to pull it.
Any tips or tricks you can impart? Did you pull yours with tranny still attached?
Old 02-11-2016, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

did not pull the trans with it. i removed the driveshaft,
exhaust ( rearward of headers ), and trans separately.
then i moved back up to the engine and removed the
rad / fans / accessories. then removed the intake / tb
assembly. then i removed the valve covers and heads.
after that, you can use the trans mount bolt hole for
the rear cherry picker mount, and you'll see the front
mount hole that you can use for the front. then remove
the motor mount bolts. once your that far, get the cherry
picker and yank it out.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't ever use cinder blocks to support any vehicle weight. Especially if you will ever be under the vehicle.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

good lawd no.. jack stands or a lift, only.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Proper way to remove the engine is to turn the car upsidedown and shake it out. Trust me on this , I never lie.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

I have done an LS1 Commodore which is basically the same engine bay as a GTO only right hand drive. The best tip I can give you is if you are going to pull the motor and leave the trans in the car, as mentioned above remove the intake manifold, it makes getting to all the bolts and wiring at the back of the engine a sh!tload easier.

I didn't think to take the intake off for removal and it's a massive PITA, there's just no room behind it to get to anything. I made damn sure I left it off when I reinstalled the motor though and it was much easier.

I used a block and tackle from a beam under the house with a chain diagonally across the heads both to remove and install which isn't ideal but it's do-able. If you have easy access to an engine crane and leveller it will make life much easier, good luck with it.

Jason.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by elephantrider
good lawd no.. jack stands or a lift, only.
It's already up on jackstands, but do to to missing two of the four wheels and the uneven nature of the driveway, it not perfectly seated on all the stands. I'm just going to use the cinder blocks to take some weight off the tranny and balance the car out.

Quick Reply: LS1 Removal from 2004 GTO