Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gaskets going out on my 1999 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Head Gaskets going out on my 1999 LS1

So bad new guys, the head gaskets on my 1999 Z28 are on there way out, no surprise since the engine has 220k miles. Today while my car was idling I noticed a little bit of white smog coming out of the exhaust. I went over to check the oil cap and it had a little bit of coolant mixed with oil and some water droplets. It's not that bad yet but It's not going to get any better and it's not going to fix itself.
Now my question is what should I do to solve the issues. I could just do the head gaskets but I did plan on doing some mods later on in the year and the engine miles are really high. Maybe swap a lower mileage LS2 bottom block? I have money saved up to play with but what do you suggest I do? This is my daily car so I take this thing everywhere and that's why the miles are so high.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll ask before someone else does. What's your budget/ goals for the car?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

I have 5k that I can spend right now I want to keep the car as my main daily driver. I'd be happy with something that I can take to tracks maybe once every 2 months and put down decent time. I'd like something with 500hp at the crack NA. I was thinking of an LS2 with an LS3 top end and a decent cam.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

I'm in the midst of building a 408 with an ls3 top end and have done my best to be frugal, but I blew my initial budget as I kept adding "one more thing" (clutch, suspension mods, etc.). I pieced the block and stroker kit together slowly and probably would've had less of a headache buying a shortblock from Texas Speed or Thompson Motorsports which may be a good starting point. I've also seen some sweet deals roll through the classifieds too.

Did you have a track time in mind? That may be a more efficient way planning a build rather than hp (I'm guilty of that!).
Old 03-08-2016, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Yes Willow Springs and just come 1/8 and 1/4 mile tracks.

How much have you spent on your build so far?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

hmm a bit over 4.5k for the bottem end, heads, cam, intake, etc. I haven't gotten the bill for getting the bottom end assembled yet either

I'm not sure what mods you have already, but another concern I'd have is the relative condition of your supporting parts, suspension, transmission, clutch, etc.. being that you've logged so many miles.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Could be other problems than head gaskets causing this. Why not try a good stop leak? I like the Bars leak gold powder. The fact its getting into the oil maybe a sign its not a head gasket. I was losing a small amount of coolant over time and had just slight wisps of white out the exhaust if you revved it hard. I added the Bars leak gold powder but only about a 1/4 of the container. Been well over a year without losing any coolant or wisps out the exhaust. I didn't have any coolant in the oil though. Usually if a head gasket is that bad coolant is in the oil the engine won't run. Good Luck Grasshopper

Last edited by RockinWs6; 03-11-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Head Gaskets going out on my 1999 LS1