Sponsored by:

lifter noise and pre load

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 276 Likes on 181 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by transwiz
I pulled a valve cover and checked the lifters with the turns method a while back and the intake was
one turn and the exhaust was 3/4 turn. From all of my research on here are the pushrods slightly too short? I have read that you want to shoot for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns.
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Your preload is fine. The 1+ turn info is slightly incorrect. While its still in the range of plunger travel of the lifter, its on the upper end of acceptable.
Originally Posted by tadams72
3/4 turn is around .035 - .040 preload
No it isnt. 1 turn is around 80 preload, so 3/4 turn is 60. I know because Ive measured myself. The one turn = 47 is plain incorrect.
Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
How did you measure? I used the comp pushrod length checker and count the turns with the tq wrench from zero lash and it seemed close to .050" to me?

Or are you saying even on the push rod length checker is closer to .080" then the advertised .050" per turn?
Sorry we may be miscommunicating. Yes one turn of the checker is 50. The myth of the 1 1/2 turns past zero lash was what I was refuting. I'm currently running 120 preload on a softer lobe cam with zero issues....very quiet also.
Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
that's right ****** on there. 1 turn = 048 is on the rocker bolt thread pitch, not the lifter preload. I calculated out 076, but I use 075 for easier math off the top of my head.
Originally Posted by vettenuts
I found in that one turn, 1/3 turn is for bolt preload and not actually applying preload due to rocker bottoming. By calculation I get 2/3 turn of the bolt to preload and 0.052" of lifter preload after correction for the rocker ratio. I also verified it with a dial indicator.

This is why I despise the bolt turn method for measuring preload and always tell people to just spend $60 on 8" calipers and be done with it.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
This is why I despise the bolt turn method for measuring preload and always tell people to just spend $60 on 8" calipers and be done with it.
Agreed. I did both more to validate the bolt turn but cannot argue with using the caliper to actually get the pushrod length.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't use the bolt turn method nor do I like it. I did a test on mine to figure out why the numbers being put forward were correct for one turn because the math didn't match. I check with turns, dial indicator and adjustable pushrod and got the same answer only when you account for bolt preload and rocker ratio when doing the turns.

Also, when using the caliper you are measuring OAL, not gauge length so that requires a correction as well.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are using the Comp Cam adjustable pushrod, the markings on it are NOT accurate (or should I say were not correct on mine). I measured it with a mic and it is close to .02" off in length at about the 7.375" length. Checked it 4 times. You would be adding an additional .02" of preload if you went by the markings, so 7.375" length would actually be 7.395". My factory pushrods all cam in around 7.395 - 7.400" range.

The thread pitch on the rocker hold down bolt is 1.25mm/rev. That calculates out to .049" per rev. No way to beat the math on that one.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by joyridin'

The thread pitch on the rocker hold down bolt is 1.25mm/rev. That calculates out to .049" per rev. No way to beat the math on that one.
We know but rocker turns does not directly = lifter preload.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are using the Comp Cam adjustable pushrod, the markings on it are NOT accurate (or should I say were not correct on mine). I measured it with a mic and it is close to .02" off in length at about the 7.375" length. Checked it 4 times. You would be adding an additional .02" of preload if you went by the markings, so 7.375" length would actually be 7.395". My factory pushrods all cam in around 7.395 - 7.400" range.

No, it is correct. The adjustable pushrod measures gauge length, which is how most pushrod vendors sell pushrods. If you use a mic/caliper you are measuring OAL and the difference is approximately 0.017". If you use your mic and order from Comp based on that length, then you are ordering too long of a pushrod.

The factory pushrods are 7.385" gauge length. They are not 7.400" as stated over and over on the internet.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,152 Posts

If you are using the Comp Cam adjustable pushrod, the markings on it are NOT accurate

First point, you are correct.

Second point you are half right. Yes .048" per rev, but you got the rocker geometry also. Your fulcrum is 1.7 away from the bolt, and the distance you are trying to gauge is 1.0 further away from the fulcrum vs the bolt. .048 X 2.7 / 1.7 = .076" preload per rocker bolt rotation. NOW you can't beat the maths
Old 03-15-2016, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
First point, you are correct.

Second point you are half right. Yes .048" per rev, but you got the rocker geometry also. Your fulcrum is 1.7 away from the bolt, and the distance you are trying to gauge is 1.0 further away from the fulcrum vs the bolt. .048 X 2.7 / 1.7 = .076" preload per rocker bolt rotation. NOW you can't beat the maths
Hmmm...if I understand what you are saying, that isn't what I came up with when I physically measured it just a few minutes ago. I did it about 10 times to make sure I had the free play correct. I torqued the bolt to 22 lbs and counted just a bit over 1.5 turns from when the tip of the rocker lost its freeplay on the valve stem. That should be about .075" to .08". I took an indicator to the pushrod side of the rocker right above the pushrod and measured the distance traveled. I came up with about .087" of travel.

If I understand you, you are stating .049" (1 rotation of the bolt)equals .076" of preload. I am not getting that number. I messed with it Sunday for a while also and didn't come up with the calculations using the adjustable pushrod checker either. I am probably off, but it isn't coming out that far.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:56 PM

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Gotcha. Part of that is the rotation to torque the bolt. When you torque the bolt you are actually stretching the bolt and no longer applying preload.

When using bolt rotation, you stop when the wrench just stops with very little force.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmmm...if I understand what you are saying, that isn't what I came up with when I physically measured it just a few minutes ago. I did it about 10 times to make sure I had the free play correct. I torqued the bolt to 22 lbs and counted just a bit over 1.5 turns from when the tip of the rocker lost its freeplay on the valve stem. That should be about .075" to .08". I took an indicator to the pushrod side of the rocker right above the pushrod and measured the distance traveled. I came up with about .087" of travel.

If I understand you, you are stating .049" (1 rotation of the bolt)equals .076" of preload. I am not getting that number. I messed with it Sunday for a while also and didn't come up with the calculations using the adjustable pushrod checker either. I am probably off, but it isn't coming out that far.
I got the amount of 80 preload per one bolt turn. I did not measure when part of the turn was the bolt being torqued. I selected one full turn but with the bolt far enough out that the one turn didnt cause it to snug. I got approx 80 at the pushrod with one free spin of the bolt.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All this bs is why I will be going with solids one day soon. Any chevy I ever built always had flat tappet solids. When I put my morels in I did not realize that they are .050 taller than stock. The car started and ran but with a continuous popping lean sound. I checked compression and got 0 on some cylinders and compression would creep up going from back to front, 0 to 235psi. I then researched and found the .050 reason. Scratched my head and then panicked. Things like crushed valve seals and possibly bent valves ran through my mind. Especially because I gave it a test in wide open mode and it flew right to 7100 rpms of a stop sign. Then I thought I must be right at the edge of the valves sealing. Some hanging open some closed. So I backed them all off .005 and got full compression in all cylinders and now I know exactly how straight and square my block is. less than .005 from corner to corner! Not bad but pushing the lift to over .670. Yikes! Went from 7.4 to 7.375 pr's. It ran ok but went right to 7.350 calming the cam down quit a bit. To much maybe? I guess the track will tell me.
Just thought I would share my experience of going backwards. lol
Old 03-16-2016, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by handyandy496
All this bs is why I will be going with solids one day soon. Any chevy I ever built always had flat tappet solids. When I put my morels in I did not realize that they are .050 taller than stock. The car started and ran but with a continuous popping lean sound. I checked compression and got 0 on some cylinders and compression would creep up going from back to front, 0 to 235psi. I then researched and found the .050 reason. Scratched my head and then panicked. Things like crushed valve seals and possibly bent valves ran through my mind. Especially because I gave it a test in wide open mode and it flew right to 7100 rpms of a stop sign. Then I thought I must be right at the edge of the valves sealing. Some hanging open some closed. So I backed them all off .005 and got full compression in all cylinders and now I know exactly how straight and square my block is. less than .005 from corner to corner! Not bad but pushing the lift to over .670. Yikes! Went from 7.4 to 7.375 pr's. It ran ok but went right to 7.350 calming the cam down quit a bit. To much maybe? I guess the track will tell me.
Just thought I would share my experience of going backwards. lol
I just measured my 5315 morels from the bottom of the roller to the bottom of the pushrod cup and it was exactly.025 shorter than the stock ones I pulled out.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the amount of 80 preload per one bolt turn. I did not measure when part of the turn was the bolt being torqued. I selected one full turn but with the bolt far enough out that the one turn didnt cause it to snug. I got approx 80 at the pushrod with one free spin of the bolt.
I did not measure it without torquing the bolt down. I might try it tonight just to see if I get what you get. I guess it really does not matter as you need to torque the bolt down regardless, but hey....since it is apart, I might as well learn something!
Old 03-16-2016, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dave04da
I just measured my 5315 morels from the bottom of the roller to the bottom of the pushrod cup and it was exactly.025 shorter than the stock ones I pulled out.
Do some research. I have never heard of having to go to a longer pr with any of the morel lifters.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Do some research. I have never heard of having to go to a longer pr with any of the morel lifters.
No need for research, calipers do not lie.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Well I did some research any way and here is what I found. Tooley , 07-21-2014 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlumina
Brian, dose the Morel 5315 lifter and pushrods 7.400 works together with no issues while used cam is BTA IV?
The Morel 5315 lifters are right at .025" shorter than stock or LS7 lifters, however 7.400" pushrods should still yield around .050" preload which should be sufficient. Right from Brian Tooleyhttps://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1737013-cam-recommended-2.html#post18331701 thread #25
Old 03-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure, but when I measured my morel 5315's against stock they were about 0.02" shorter. I ended up using 7.325" pushrods in my on a comp core with LSL lobes. This is also with a 0.040" head gasket, and the heads milled 0.035". I used my adjustable pushrod to get to zero lash, measured it with a caliper, and then added to get my desired preload. I used dial indicators to ensure I was reading true zero lash and I also measure 4 random cylinders intake and exhaust. My opinion is to run a lower preload to prevent valve loft from lifter pump up (low intake P/V clearance). So, I shot for around 0.020" preload. I always ran about a 1/4 turn past zero on my hydraulic SBC motors and had the most success there and they weren't noisy. Maybe you guys will argue about possible power loss, blah, blah. But I think a hydraulic is a hydraulic and all of them make less power than a solid roller. Two, if your valvetrain is unstable your going to make less power anyways and I would rather be safe know my valves can't hit pistons. Three there no way it will make less power than more preload unless two happens, or the lifter collapses.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after reading this thread I am totally confused. What preload would you get if you torque the bolt down to 22 ft lbs then an extra 1/4 turn?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyGTO
if you torque the bolt down to 22 ft lbs then an extra 1/4 turn?
No...
Old 03-16-2016, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

I'm running a 5206 morel racing lifter w/link bars and .750 roller. Yellow bullet sponsors say they can run these Hydraulics to 8500 rpm with a solid cam and 250 seat pressures due to its new valving using less oil in the travel slot(.141 travel) and super close tolerances for greater stability at high rpm. These are for running in hydraulic classes having as close as possible of an effect as a solid lifter(no collapsing). So I guess your calipers are fairly accurate with what you have.

Quick Reply: lifter noise and pre load