Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

317 Head Damage...Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree those markings are from detonation, id have those heads milled down a bit and reuse them. Detonation does some amazing things to aluminum.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
don't get me started on piston slap..........it gets me revved up
http://www.audiforums.com/forum/off-...e-wrong-80267/

I think this guy has some piston slap. We should invite him over from the other forum to tell his story in a group therapy session. Piston slap is real. It breaks hearts, ruins lives, and tears families apart. But good news, it's not your fault. And you can get help, here at LS1Tech.com rehab. Stop parking your ride on the other side of the lot so your buddies..kids..girl don't laugh at you when you start it up. Get the help you need...today!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
I agree those markings are from detonation, id have those heads milled down a bit and reuse them. Detonation does some amazing things to aluminum.
Those marks are absolutely not from detonation, it is from foreign material plain and simple. Piston ring failure or poor intake filtration are common sources for that type of damage. Actual detonation will cause the piston (or other parts) to appear melted or eroded.

Case in point, this is REAL detonation:

Old 03-21-2016, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not going to amount to anything.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Nick_R_23
Those marks are absolutely not from detonation, it is from foreign material plain and simple. Piston ring failure or poor intake filtration are common sources for that type of damage. Actual detonation will cause the piston (or other parts) to appear melted or eroded.

Obviously what happened here is that the installer didn't use enough rubber bands to keep the piston together under boost.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Normally id agree with you, but since the OP's pictures show clear signs of detonation, its from detonation, plain and simple. What it shows is the source of where the detonation was occurring due to heat, and it begins to melt the areas of the aluminum in the head where it is most porous. Id be willing to bet the spark plugs removed from that cylinder had silver flecks on the ceramic portion of the plug as well, thats a clear indicator of detonation and a sign we often look for when tuning carb'ed engines.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 233 Posts

This...

Here's the only pic I could find of what looks like cyl head detonation.

When a head has been damaged from detonation, it looses material...his picture shows material that has been "displaced" ...the material is still all there, just "moved" from whatever foreign material was in those cylinders...
Old 03-21-2016, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CattleAc
This...

Here's the only pic I could find of what looks like cyl head detonation.

When a head has been damaged from detonation, it looses material...his picture shows material that has been "displaced" ...the material is still all there, just "moved" from whatever foreign material was in those cylinders...
That looks like it got hammered by objects.

Quick Reply: 317 Head Damage...Opinions?