Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here.... Need some cam help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here.... Need some cam help

First of all, Hello everyone. So ive been searching for cam answers for a while, mostly which one for what I plan to use it in. Im building a 5.3 out of a 2002 and putting this thing in my 76 trans am. The original poncho 400 wasn't cutting it anymore. Ive been looking for cams for a few months now but as soon as I think ive found the right one i'll find something that tells me its too big or needs to be rev'd to 6500 to really get the most of it.

I want to build the engine around the cam as far as supporting mods go. I was pretty sold on tick's sns stage 2 but later read that it wouldn't work with the holley high rise intake I want. Ive been looking at BTR stage 4 truck cam. I don't need a high reving, quarter mile monster, I want great low to mid torque and choppy idle without a 4000 stall. This is a weekend car not a DD at all. Trans is a th400 and thinking about 3.55 gears, heads are stock 706 heads and I have a set of btr dual spring valve springs incase I decide to go nuts on cam lift. would the btr stage 4 truck cam be a good choice for heavy second gen TA with a 5.3. Ive never ive never done a ground up engine build like this and on a budget. Last thing I want to do is go too small on a cam and regret it later. Im open to suggestions, still in the research/planning period so any help would be great.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Welcome to the forums, sir.

For any and all cam related needs and desires, call Martin Smallwood. He will set you straight, guaranteed.

The "chop" will come from tuning the idle speed and timing at idle... the cam is way too important to waste on getting the "correct" noise or chop. Anything with overlap can be tuned to chop.

You will still probably want a 3400-3600 stall. The 3.55 rear gears are a good choice. Install the BTR dual springs even if you stay with the stock cam.

The Holley Hi-Ram is a sexy intake, but it is designed for more of the high revving stuff you seem to be trying to avoid. You can definitely use it, and rely on your compression and the intake valve closing event to build your low end torque. That is certainly an option, but there are long runner intakes that would help facilitate early torque production out there, like the TBSS/'10+ truck intake and the Fast intakes.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply David. I know I shouldn't put too much thought into the sound or chop but I want this thing to sound the part too lol. And from what I understand, a lower LSA also helps bring in the power sooner so WIN-WIN right? I've thought about calling in to Tick Performance and TSP and BTR but u wanted to also see what other people were doing or other people's opinions on the matter. I also know that asking "what can should I get?" usually opens up a huge can of worms.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Call Martin Smallwood, or TSP, or Tick... any of the big names in the cam game... and get a cam spec'ed for your exact intentions and combination of parts. Tell them you want a reasonable amount of overlap, and then adjust your idle speed and timing at idle to get the chop you want. These guys have been around the block a couple times, and will make you a cam that will drive well, deliver good power, and still sound the part.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Geoff Skinner @ EPS also knows his camshaft lobes
IIRC he sells a truck torque cam that would fit your
Build criteria. 218/226. .595"/.598" @ 112 ls
Old 04-14-2016, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Feel free to give me a call about your project. I'd be more than happy to help out any way i can.

Quick Reply: New here.... Need some cam help