Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deck surface RA...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deck surface RA...

What's up guys, so I'm curious to see what u guys think of my deck surface for Cometic MLS head gaskets? Hopefully some1 can tell by the pics I post?

History is, I measured deck height and instructed the machine shop to square up the block. Machinist said he did not recommend decking the block after everything was finished and I went to pay and b pick up. So I picked everything up and cleaned, de- burred, and washed the block twice. Not realizing the smoothness I need for the head gaskets.

B4 I finally assembled and washed block for the 2nd time I went over the deck with 400 grit wet sandpaper.

Here's the pics, maybe some1 can see if I need a smoother surface. Thanks for any help on this...

Old 04-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The surface looks fine as far as can be told from pictures. Shouldn't be any problems.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by unit
The surface looks fine as far as can be told from pictures. Shouldn't be any problems.
Cool, thank you!
Old 04-15-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From memory as it was 8 years ago, I used 400 grit on my deck. I was fortunate enough to borrow and Ra meter from work and found the surface was typically below 30 Ra so you should be OK. I would also recommend using Hylomar on the Cometic gasket. Hylomar was originally design for turbine engines and it works really well. Its a little hard to find but worth it in my book.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
From memory as it was 8 years ago, I used 400 grit on my deck. I was fortunate enough to borrow and Ra meter from work and found the surface was typically below 30 Ra so you should be OK. I would also recommend using Hylomar on the Cometic gasket. Hylomar was originally design for turbine engines and it works really well. Its a little hard to find but worth it in my book.
I was searching and I came across your thread on this so thank you as it was very helpful!! I plan to use the hylomar or copper spray as an xtra precaution.

Where can I find the hylomar spray? Online, or maybe an auto parts store? I don't remember ever seeing that kind of spray at any parts stores?
Old 04-18-2016, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I think this is it.

Amazon.com: Valco 71362 HYLOMAR SEALANT AEROSOL: Automotive Amazon.com: Valco 71362 HYLOMAR SEALANT AEROSOL: Automotive

Quick Reply: Deck surface RA...