2001 5.3 lm7. Stock internal.
1 5/8 mid length headers
Cold air intake
Electric fans
No ac
4l60e trans
3.07 rear gears
'66 gmc long box
I estimate around 3800 lbs possible a few hundred less.
No stall converter
100-150 shot of N2O
It's just a nice day, weekend truck. Would like to take it to the strip, and have a few kills on the street. With that said, I'm not too concerned if it doesn't idle real well, or is fuel efficient. Also,

Drove the truck the first time the other day, and wasn't that impressed. That was with no nitrous, don't have a ffpss, window switch, or a controller yet. Would like to play that spray game safe.
So I want to do a cam, and spring upgrade. I emailed Comp Cams, and no response after 3 days. I also emailed lunati the same time.
They recommended the 60513.
Have not gotten in contact with tsp yet, but reading around here I should give them a call.
Any recommendations? I would also be glad to go used if I could save some cash if so eones got the right one for sale. But I would like to get one ordered within the next few days. I. Waiting on brake parts, so it's down for about a week or so so would be nice to do that right now also. Thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 224/224/598/560ish/114lsa should run good.. even a 228 could cut it
Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Call Martin Smallwood. He will set you up with the perfect cam for your exact set-up.

You are going to want something with a heavier exhaust bias for that nitrous shot. And something with relatively low overlap. The LS9 cam would actually be better than any of the single pattern cams, in my opinion. And I would get bigger headers if you can. NO2 likes a free flowing exhaust.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Call Martin Smallwood. He will set you up with the perfect cam for your exact set-up.

You are going to want something with a heavier exhaust bias for that nitrous shot. And something with relatively low overlap. The LS9 cam would actually be better than any of the single pattern cams, in my opinion. And I would get bigger headers if you can. NO2 likes a free flowing exhaust.
Will call him monday. Id like to do heads, studs, and rod bolts but cant afford it right now. I will be doing rod bolts when the cam goes in tho.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LS9 or similar later cam is not drop-in, mind you. No support for rear cam sensor as the LM7 uses. You'll need a LS2 front cover, sensor, and sensor harness extension. If budget is tight, stock LS1 cam is a cheap, direct drop in for a LM7 and wakes the engine up significantly.. No; it is not the BEST cam for your application but for $50 typical street price for a good used example, it's the absolute best bang for buck when you are getting your feet wet with a LM7 on a budget. Here is some food for thought on cheap factory cams in LM7:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...st-comparison/

I am sure you guys get tired of me posting this but it's just good info.

Good luck with your build. 60's truck is definitely making it higher on my short list of "what's next" these days.

Chris
Old 04-16-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Good catch on the LS9/GenIV cam not being a drop-in replacement. I'm retarded sometimes.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Good catch on the LS9/GenIV cam not being a drop-in replacement. I'm retarded sometimes.
Hey no sweat. It just happens to be on my mind because I literally just today dropped off a LM7 to a customer/friend that I changed to front cam sensor. So I kinda cheated.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

OP,

You will need to address your valvesprings also.....you can't just bump a cam in the motor with stock or close to stock OEM springs. That's a PITA if the heads are on the engine already but do-able with the right tools and patience

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

With that setup... and no stall (I'd recommend an SS3200 or CircleD 1C with it) and a BTR Stage 1 Cam with the BTR springs...

Stage I Cam 223/230 .610"/.573" 115+2

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/bun...-kit-test.html
Old 04-18-2016, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
OP,

You will need to address your valvesprings also.....you can't just bump a cam in the motor with stock or close to stock OEM springs. That's a PITA if the heads are on the engine already but do-able with the right tools and patience

-Tony
yea I have the tools, plenty of room in there to do it. I did say I was going to up grade my springs during the cam install. thanks!

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
With that setup... and no stall (I'd recommend an SS3200 or CircleD 1C with it) and a BTR Stage 1 Cam with the BTR springs...
thanks, ill look into them
Stage I Cam 223/230 .610"/.573" 115+2

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/bun...-kit-test.html

Quick Reply: Camshaft help. Desperate