Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Cam with Double Roller Chain - Do I need to remove Oil Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Removing Cam with Double Roller Chain - Do I need to remove Oil Pump?

Well had some more time this afternoon... the timing gear won't come off the cam. I have a Rollmaster Double Roller... I'm afraid I'll have to remove the oil pump to get it off. Why can't anything be easy.

I have the cam bolts out, but it's not budging. It has a little bit of room before it touches the oil pump, but I have a lot less room to play with than a single roller. ugh. But the issue is, it's not moving at all. I don't know if the double roller is too tight or what. But when I put on, it was a pain, but I had it on the crank sprocket and got it on the cam.

I don't know if it'll come out without me removing the oil pump. I really don't want to do that. It was a nightmare getting that on with it on a stand. I can't fathom how terrible it will be still in the car.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just keep wiggling. It'll come. Couple of screw drivers will help as well. You're not going to hurt anything.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I got it off.... issue is the timing chain damper won't let it fall.

So, off comes the pump... and yep, I dropped a spacer down into the pan. Wasn't really expecting to do it, so didn't really prepare. Spent the evening dropping the pan. Hope I can find the very non-magnetic thing. Otherwise, I'll be pulling the motor. And I'm not putting it back in stock. LOL
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I got it off.... issue is the timing chain damper won't let it fall. So, off comes the pump... and yep, I dropped a spacer down into the pan. Wasn't really expecting to do it, so didn't really prepare. Spent the evening dropping the pan. Hope I can find the very non-magnetic thing. Otherwise, I'll be pulling the motor. And I'm not putting it back in stock. LOL
that sucks. I dropped my oil pump bolt in there and had to fish it but its magnetic.

You got a tubular K? Makes dropping the pan much more easier
Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Not yet. It's on the list.

I may just do a lot of stuff... and my wife will murder me.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Not yet. It's on the list. I may just do a lot of stuff... and my wife will murder me.
Lol I hear you! Has she accused the car of being the wife and herself of being the other woman yet?

In all seriousness, once I did the K, my first question was - how the hell have I been working on this thing all along? So much room. My next F body build, tubular K will be the first mod.

I can now change motor mounts without pulling the headers. That's how much room you gain.

Quick Reply: Removing Cam with Double Roller Chain - Do I need to remove Oil Pump?