Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L truck rods vs ls1 rods? are they the same?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L truck rods vs ls1 rods? are they the same?

Just curious as im looking for some stock stuff to help my nephew out on a learning project. I have the choice to get some 5.3L rods from a 2000 chevy pickup, and some 2000 5.7L LS1 rods from a corvette. I don't know part numbers but I know they are all stock and have 90-110K miles on them but no known damage. The 5.3L rods have less mileage, but being they will be redone with new bolts, and the machine shop will do their thing I don't know if it even matters as long as they are not bent or cracked.

So are there any difference between the two? is one stronger than the other? I assume both are 6.098" length which is what we want for his lil build. and we will change the bolts out to arp bolts regardless when we take the assembly in for balancing. I just don't know if there is any difference I should be aware of or not. Wed love to go aftermarket but for the goals and honestly just as a learning experience we figure OEM is the cheapest and easiest, so if anything breaks later we wont be out tons of money. (hope you guys understand that)

My gut says its they are the same, it was the pistons that were just larger in the ls1 which made the difference but the rods were same.. can you guys let me know if this is true, or if there is a certain year rods I should look at that's better than the rest besides going gen 4 or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

They're pretty much the same.

The stronger rods were the floating pin rods. IIRC, they were used in some LS6 engines and in the later GEN IV engines.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah ok, so in my case i might as well pick the ones that look like they are in better shape? I am getting them for only 40 bux for the set of 8. and I highly doubt he will ever see 400whp with his build and thats after every bolt on he can muster.. once get learns the ropes more I am sure he will go more crazy and get forged and be working on a new motor but hes gotta start somewhere!

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:04 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by sinful7
ah ok, so in my case i might as well pick the ones that look like they are in better shape? I am getting them for only 40 bux for the set of 8. and I highly doubt he will ever see 400whp with his build and thats after every bolt on he can muster.. once get learns the ropes more I am sure he will go more crazy and get forged and be working on a new motor but hes gotta start somewhere!

Thanks for the help!
Yeah, and pay attention to the big end bore. Make sure its not discolored or scorched, which would suggest it may have spun a bearing.

Quick Reply: 5.3L truck rods vs ls1 rods? are they the same?