Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 piston and rod orientation

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 piston and rod orientation

I know I'm not a regular,but this has me baffled,maybe someone knows I have a stock lq4,ods and piston,cleaned them,rings,bearings,etc.. 150 miles later,knock knock, Took the engine apart and found #8 rod bearing spun
After looking at the rods and the chamfer on caps,it looked like 8 was turned around and not facing the filet of the crank,I thought maybe in my hast I mixed them up Took the heads off and all the dots are pointed to the front of engine Ok maybe the they are mixed up from side to side Well that would work but then the dot is pointing to the rear on 8 and front on 7 I know the flat part of rod faces to the front,but then the chamfer is off All the books say dots to the front and this was a junk yard motor,that looked factory to me anyway And I never had them to machine shop for anything,they looked fine But the point it,I thought it was the cause of my spun bearing by not have the rods flat against each other,but I don't see how it can b done and still have the dots to the front,at least on mine
Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

It does not matter which way the rods face with the stock rods and crank. The LS1 cranks have a rolled fillet which won't interfere with the bearing like the older engines, plus the rods are "on-center". Your bearing likely spun because of too little bearing clearance or oil starvation.

Please, type like you've graduated high school. Separate your sentences with periods and spaces like I just did, at least. It's hard to read that clusterfuck of a paragraph you wrote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,thank you very much,OH great wonder,gee I thought this was a tech site,not a lesson in grammer school.Please forgive my haste as I was pretty stressed about the whole motor deal and was just looking for a quick answer.Guess I GOT it
Old 04-24-2016, 09:32 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by lugnut1728
Well,thank you very much,OH great wonder,gee I thought this was a tech site,not a lesson in grammer school.Please forgive my haste as I was pretty stressed about the whole motor deal and was just looking for a quick answer.Guess I GOT it
You're welcome.

It's grammar BTW, not grammer. Again, you're welcome.

Quick Reply: lq4 piston and rod orientation