Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

damaged lifter/ bad build

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default damaged lifter/ bad build

A while back I had a shop install a cam, heads and intake manifold. Kooks headers and more. They screwed up the whole build. I went to take off a rocker arm off the cylinder head and the bolt stripped before on another spot. everything they touched they screwed up.
I decided to take off the heads and fix everything myself.When I removed the lifter trays I found out that there are pits in the roller in the valve lifter.Looking thru the lifter hole in the block the cam lope looks ok but I have not turned the cam to check it out. I assume that I need a new cam. What do you guys think? I was going to install ls7 lifters and another set of cylinder heads.
Attached Thumbnails damaged lifter/ bad build-p4300002.jpg   damaged lifter/ bad build-p4300003.jpg  
Old 04-30-2016, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

My $.02......Both the lifters and cam are toast. That failure is the heat treated surface of the rollers coming off. Could be from beating the lifters on the cam w/ float, could be bottoming the lifters out, could be shitty parts.
Look at the stem seals and the under sides of the retainers.. Been hitting? Solid stacking beats the lifters/cam up. P rods bent?
Signs of the valves hitting the pistons?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
My $.02......Both the lifters and cam are toast. That failure is the heat treated surface of the rollers coming off. Could be from beating the lifters on the cam w/ float, could be bottoming the lifters out, could be shitty parts.
Look at the stem seals and the under sides of the retainers.. Been hitting? Solid stacking beats the lifters/cam up. P rods bent?
Signs of the valves hitting the pistons?
Yeah man i do not know about this, can you please help me understand, what is bottoming out lifters and what is solid stacking.. thanks

Is this too much preload ?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Could have just been a bad cam. Had the same thing happen to me and everything was set up 100% correct.
The following users liked this post:
GMRL (05-20-2023)
Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by the404man
Yeah man i do not know about this, can you please help me understand, what is bottoming out lifters and what is solid stacking.. thanks

Is this too much preload ?
Lifters have a plunger that has X amount of travel and when the pushrods are to long or preload is to tight the plunger is forced to try to travel further than it has room causing the plunger to bottom out inside the lifter.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I inspected the cam and there are some pitts in it. Time to replace it. Now my big problem is some metal shavings came out of the block hole #10. When I pulled the cylinder head on the passenger side I had a hell of a time getting the bolt out. I am worried that the block is messed up. I will blow out the hole and use a thread chaser and cross my fingers.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Use a timesert if the hole is damaged. Its expensive but a permanent repair. If the threads look OK you might also want to consider using studs, that way you have full thread engagement when you torque down the head and the threads are not rotating in the block.

Sounds like they really screwed the pooch on this build that they did for you.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:46 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

To me it looks/reads like you were getting a lot of valve loft. Without having a lot of details I would guess at too much valve spring but not enough pushrod. This can make the pushrod become a pole vault at the top of the lobe, which throws the valve and then everything hammers back home.

I strongly recommend pulling the cam and inspecting very carefully. It takes quite a lot to do that kind of damage, and u have to assume the cam has seen some abuse as well.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Sounds like they really screwed the pooch on this build that they did for you.
Yes, sadly, the more stories I hear about shops like this one, the more I want to just save up and drop a FULLY warrantied, GM/Chevy Performance LS3 crate into the car, instead of a full rebuild (even with the added cost of the reluctor wheel swap).

The above is STILL less than a lot of the shops around here get for even a very mild LS1 rebuild, even reusing some of the factory internals (besides even the crank)!

Even a decent, low mile, LS6 swap would do, since I do NOT need, nor even want the 550++ to the wheels that everyone else on here seems to require.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I am going to use studs to be safe. The pre load was wrong like everything the shop did. Thanks vettenuts for the suggestion. I am going to install a new cam.There are some pitts in it and I don't want to take a chance.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

If you need any help, parts, options, please let me know! email is easier though

Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com

Quick Reply: damaged lifter/ bad build