Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 heads go with stock valve or smaller??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default L92 heads go with stock valve or smaller??

So it was brought to my attention by another techie that putting a smaller intake valve in my L92 head would help me pick up air chamber speed an fill the cylinder faster with air?

Never heard this theory an i know bigger isnt always better BUT isnt that the benefit of these heads over an ls1 or ls2 head? Flow more cause valves an chambers are bigger right?

Anyway whats everyone else's thoughts on this? Is there power to be made with a smaller valve vs the stock size?

Thanks
Chris
Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I've heard of people doing that but no first hand knowledge. I think a smaller valve is more about deshrouding in the 4.00 - 4.030" bore engines rather than about airspeed. Shortening the intake duration is an easier way to pick up low lift air speed.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Would be alotta work to make that fit. You'd have to completely machine out the valve seats, insert new ones and then machine for the new smaller valves. Seems like alot of work for not that much benefit. Remember that while the intake diameter is smaller, the rest of the runner shape and size remains the same...so you won't pick up that much extra velocity for the cost.

Like KCS said, there are other better and more economical ways to "band-aid" the velocity problem that big runner/valve heads might have.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the Reply Gentleman that was kind of my thought seems Cam selection for the combo and setup is way more feasible way to make power and budget friendly.

Spend money on customer grind with a great cam expert instead of completely redoing a Head. Makes logical sense to me. Running a smaller intake valve on a cast GM head designed by GM with certain size valve doesn't make logical sense not that it wouldnt work just hard for my little brain to understand

Chris

Quick Reply: L92 heads go with stock valve or smaller??