Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speed Motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016 | 12:00 PM
Teching In

Default Texas Speed Motor

This is probably a stupid question but is there any way to identify a Texas Speed motor? Like do they put a stamp or something on the block? Im looking at a Camaro thats supposed to have a Texas Speed motor with PRC ported heads but he doesn't have any paperwork because he bought it like that
Old 07-02-2016 | 12:06 PM
Teching In

This is what the add said. I talked to him yesterday and he said he didn't have paperwork because the previous owner did the work.
Old 07-02-2016 | 12:06 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Corvettekid1973
This is probably a stupid question but is there any way to identify a Texas Speed motor? Like do they put a stamp or something on the block? Im looking at a Camaro thats supposed to have a Texas Speed motor with PRC ported heads but he doesn't have any paperwork because he bought it like that
I know PRC heads are stamped, unless the engine is 10 yrs old since I had a set of PRC 2.5 heads from back then with no markings..

I'm not sure if the engine block has a stamp, maybe they'll chime in since they are usually on here..

What type of engine? You could always run the block # and see if it's at least the block they claim it to be
Old 07-02-2016 | 12:11 PM
Teching In

Yeah I knew about the heads. He lives over an hour away. He didn't know if it had dish pistons or flat tops. My friend mentioned that the ad pretty much only states the obvious that you can physically see or feel. Like the fast intake, prc heads, 12 bolt. And you can feel the clutch and rear gears
Old 07-02-2016 | 12:16 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Yeah I knew about the heads. He lives over an hour away. He didn't know if it had dish pistons or flat tops. My friend mentioned that the ad pretty much only states the obvious that you can physically see or feel. Like the fast intake, prc heads, 12 bolt. And you can feel the clutch and rear gears
Yes, I've been doing this a long time. When you get a motor built from someone like Texas speed or another vendor.. That paperwork isn't just lost, especially when you are selling the vehicle.

That's the selling point, and when they don't have it.. It's BS 9 out of 10 times..
Old 07-02-2016 | 12:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Burken01
Yes, I've been doing this a long time. When you get a motor built from someone like Texas speed or another vendor.. That paperwork isn't just lost, especially when you are selling the vehicle.

That's the selling point, and when they don't have it.. It's BS 9 out of 10 times..
Yeah I agree. I was wondering
why would he buy it without the paperwork himself
Old 07-02-2016 | 12:24 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Yeah I agree. I was wondering why would he buy it without the paperwork himself
That's the thing, that would have been the main selling point. The engine.

Even if the original owner lost it, one phone call or email could have pulled up the invoice on something like that. And still can if he makes a phone call.

All my invoices over the past 10 years are stored on my email.
Old 07-02-2016 | 12:38 PM
Teching In

That's the thing, that would have been the main selling point. The engine.

Even if the original owner lost it, one phone call or email could have pulled up the invoice on something like that. And still can if he makes a phone call.

All my invoices over the past 10 years are stored on my email.
I text him asking if he knew the last owner so I could try to track him down but he hasn't replied yet. If the car is what its supposed to be then id love to have it.
Old 07-02-2016 | 12:52 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

I text him asking if he knew the last owner so I could try to track him down but he hasn't replied yet. If the car is what its supposed to be then id love to have it.
Yea, I mean you could always offer him a little less based on incomplete information.

If you check out the block and it's a ls1/ls6 block instead of a 5.3 block then just make an offer as if the engine was stock. I mean he's going to get offers like that no matter what, he better prepare himself for that.
Old 07-02-2016 | 12:56 PM
Teching In

I got him to 10,500 which its probably worth that with a stock short block.
Old 07-02-2016 | 01:16 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

I got him to 10,500 which its probably worth that with a stock short block.
Yea if you can verify the rear end and fast intake, and as long as the paint is good. My big thing is paint since that's something not easily fixed
Old 07-02-2016 | 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know the newer tsp motors have there label etiched or marked on the blocks.. not the older ones.. just checked mine and nope
Old 07-02-2016 | 01:22 PM
Teching In

Yea if you can verify the rear end and fast intake, and as long as the paint is good. My big thing is paint since that's something not easily fixed
Yeah I can verify everythingexcept for the short block. I should be able to feel the clutch and how it shifts. He sent one crappy pic of the motor and it looks like a fast intake with a stock fuel rail
Old 07-02-2016 | 01:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xdanny510x
I know the newer tsp motors have there label etiched or marked on the blocks.. not the older ones.. just checked mine and nope
Well that's promising info... im'ma see if I can find more about that 👍👍👍👍
Old 07-02-2016 | 01:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xdanny510x
I found a pic 👍
Old 07-02-2016 | 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

I thought it sounded fishy to me when I read tsp motor with a turbo cam on an na setup? Not really sure why that choice of cam with that setup, not that it wouldn't work, it's just there's better suited na cams for his application. Also, is this a short block from tsp or just a bare block from them? If it's a fully assembled engine from them, then I would question as to why a turbo cam is in there and exactly what heads and compression it is.

Just red flags to me man, I would probably keep searching elsewhere unless you can get it cheaper. Even if the body is low mileage, it doesn't have the matching numbers motor anymore. I paid $13,000 for mine back in 2014 with 11,613 miles on it. I have all the documentation and the paperwork from the Texas dealership that sent it to their shop that works with them to install borla adj exhaust, eibach springs, and tinted windows. Everything else was bone stock.

I'd try to get the price down if I were you, because people usually keep the documents on upgrades like that.
Old 07-02-2016 | 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
I thought it sounded fishy to me when I read tsp motor with a turbo cam on an na setup? Not really sure why that choice of cam with that setup, not that it wouldn't work, it's just there's better suited na cams for his application. Also, is this a short block from tsp or just a bare block from them? If it's a fully assembled engine from them, then I would question as to why a turbo cam is in there and exactly what heads and compression it is.

Just red flags to me man, I would probably keep searching elsewhere unless you can get it cheaper. Even if the body is low mileage, it doesn't have the matching numbers motor anymore. I paid $13,000 for mine back in 2014 with 11,613 miles on it. I have all the documentation and the paperwork from the Texas dealership that sent it to their shop that works with them to install borla adj exhaust, eibach springs, and tinted windows. Everything else was bone stock.

I'd try to get the price down if I were you, because people usually keep the documents on upgrades like that.
Yeah I agree... nothing is really looking right.
I did ask about the turbo cam and he said it was supposed to get a turbo but it was never put on but there's nothing to prove that story
Old 07-02-2016 | 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I agree... nothing is really looking right.
I did ask about the turbo cam and he said it was supposed to get a turbo but it was never put on but there's nothing to prove that story
Depending what heads and pistons are in it, the compression was most likely too high. Most likely their more popular a few years back (still may be, idk if they still offer them) would be the prc stage 2.5 5.3l heads. Also, fast intakes don't handle boost well, so they would likely go back to an ls6 intake too.

I think you're doing right by asking him all the questions, because he'll either drop the price more, or it will give you the chance to find a better car. Either way, Good luck and hopefully you find what you're looking for.
Old 07-02-2016 | 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Depending what heads and pistons are in it, the compression was most likely too high. Most likely their more popular a few years back (still may be, idk if they still offer them) would be the prc stage 2.5 5.3l heads. Also, fast intakes don't handle boost well, so they would likely go back to an ls6 intake too.

I think you're doing right by asking him all the questions, because he'll either drop the price more, or it will give you the chance to find a better car. Either way, Good luck and hopefully you find what you're looking for.
Thanks man.. and everyone else for the advice.

Quick Reply: Texas Speed Motor