Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter w/Extra Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

You make a good point! Truth is, with the cleaner unleaded fuels, plus oils that don't sludge up near as much as they used to, along with a myriad of other refinements, we just flat don't need the filtering capacity as much as we used to. That being said, having a filter that can hold more than it will ever need to is still a good idea in my book. It costs little more, and is good insurance.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the bypass pressures are the same (or higher) with the larger offerings?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by computerz
Does anyone know if the bypass pressures are the same (or higher) with the larger offerings?
They would be the same.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using the Mobil 1 M1-113(A) filter which is the recommended filter, I recently found out the Mobil 1 M1-212(A) is a direct replacement and is 1.25" taller. Everything is identical, burst PSI, pleat count and so on. It also holds almost a full qt. Compared to the stock which is 1/2 a qt.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Filter w/Extra Capacity-screenshot_2017-07-23-06-17-58.png  

Last edited by 07NBSChevy; 07-23-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
While I agree more oil filtering and cooling etc is better, but if these motors frequently go well beyond 200 even 300 thousand or more miles no problem using standard filters, how much better does it really need to be?

Yes I'm aware a lot of guys don't get that kind of miles out of an LS1, but I have and I was a complete ******* to that engine every day for years. It was taken to the rev limiter at least once a day for those years. And I sold the car and it was eventually totaled with over 220k miles and in all of those miles it whooped up on cars with more mods. So I agree bigger is better, but how much better do you need when you don't actually have a problem?

My $0.02

I get what you're saying.

The shop that built my 72 Vette's Dart 400, says the smaller "environmentally friendly" filters are more restrictive to oil flow through the filter than their larger cousins. I do not know how their chief engine builder arrived at that conclusion but he is adamant that is true. In any case I tend to listen to the engine builder and use his recommend oil & filter.
(Castrol 10w40 Syntech, big WiX Napa Gold or Mobile 1 oil filter)

One of the things I like about the larger filter is I can add a full six quarts of oil and not have or have less of an overfill than with the small short Ralph Nader Tree hugger filter.

I'm amazed too a how well the LS engines hold up. My TA has 162,000+ miles and 130,000 of that is with heads and cam. The car gets beat on but is very well maintained.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I appreciate all the responses, and yes bigger is always better LOL.

And I agree, when it comes to fluid maintenance especially.. changing early, extra filtering, cooling etc is always a good thing. I'm always telling people stories about how high of mileage I get out of engines I abuse the **** out of and 4L60's because of my fluid maintenance habits.

Unless you're talking about D size with your wife or GF. Then whatever was installed by the factory is EXACTLY the right size.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You make a good point! Truth is, with the cleaner unleaded fuels, plus oils that don't sludge up near as much as they used to, along with a myriad of other refinements, we just flat don't need the filtering capacity as much as we used to. That being said, having a filter that can hold more than it will ever need to is still a good idea in my book. It costs little more, and is good insurance.
I fully agree, even though my "thinking out loud" goes against it, more fluid maintenance in any way is a good thing.

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
I get what you're saying.

The shop that built my 72 Vette's Dart 400, says the smaller "environmentally friendly" filters are more restrictive to oil flow through the filter than their larger cousins. I do not know how their chief engine builder arrived at that conclusion but he is adamant that is true. In any case I tend to listen to the engine builder and use his recommend oil & filter.
(Castrol 10w40 Syntech, big WiX Napa Gold or Mobile 1 oil filter)

One of the things I like about the larger filter is I can add a full six quarts of oil and not have or have less of an overfill than with the small short Ralph Nader Tree hugger filter.

I'm amazed too a how well the LS engines hold up. My TA has 162,000+ miles and 130,000 of that is with heads and cam. The car gets beat on but is very well maintained.
I agree with you I tend to listen to those with more experience than myself and I would go with that as well. I chose to beat the **** out of my car because it's how I have fun, my personal six flags if you will, but like you I maintained mine in a way most don't. I knew beating on it was hard but it would take it if I prepped it for it. I changed the oil between 2500-3000 miles and the trans fluid around 30k. Same with my truck and my 4L60s last longer than most people's I know and customer vehicles, AND I drive it harder than most.

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Unless you're talking about D size with your wife or GF. Then whatever was installed by the factory is EXACTLY the right size.
LMFAO, I usually go with what the factory does as well, they usually have so much R&D into things to increase longevity, who am I to say I know better. There are some things that don't hurt to "improve upon" though and in my opinion this is one of them. I'm not likely to mess with my filter size, since my truck uses a truck filter already
Old 08-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a list I had here. I prefer and run the Mobil m1-206 on mine.

Cheers!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Add an XP to those WIX numbers for their synthetic media oil filter which they say are for use with synthetic oil. They cost about $3 more.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter w/Extra Capacity