Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 ticking slapping noise with video

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016 | 01:57 AM

Default Ls1 ticking slapping noise with video

Hey,
So I'm trying to identify what may be the cause of this ticking noise.
I listened to all the Ls1 ticking and knocking videos on youtube but none are similar to mine.
It sort of sounds like when you hold a metal pen between two fingers and you tap it against a metal table. Best way for the to describe it. Maybe the rods or something.
Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/8GwIP8aN1Xs
You can hear it best at 0:05 and 0:22
The sound seems to be coming from the backside of the engine (closer to firewall).
Great if I could get some thoughts on what it could be, maybe what I can do about it aswell.
thanks for your time
Old 10-20-2016 | 09:12 AM
On The Tree

all I hear is what sounds like injector ticking.. I know my car has a noise comin from the top end like a valve tap. but its been like that since I got the car. dealer said it was normal sound. some of these ls1 cars are just noisy
Old 10-20-2016 | 11:05 AM
Launching!

I can hear what you're talking about. It sounds like an inconsistent tapping. Have you tried using a stethoscope to narrow down exactly where its coming from? You can start by running it without a belt for a few to rule out any of the front accessories and pullys. You can also take off the valve covers to see if you have any loose rockers.
Old 10-20-2016 | 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't worry about it too much...YET. If its normal engine noise it will last a very long time....if its not you will know very soon. Either way life is too short to worry about the small stuff. If you heard my WS6 for the past 135k miles you would have thought 100k ago it needs something. Ticking and tapping and knocking and just about every crazy sound you can dream up but it still runs great and still uses about 1 qt of oil every 2k. Just the nature of these beasts.
Old 10-24-2016 | 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I wouldn't worry about it too much...YET. If its normal engine noise it will last a very long time....if its not you will know very soon. Either way life is too short to worry about the small stuff. If you heard my WS6 for the past 135k miles you would have thought 100k ago it needs something. Ticking and tapping and knocking and just about every crazy sound you can dream up but it still runs great and still uses about 1 qt of oil every 2k. Just the nature of these beasts.

yea my ls1 was noisy as f**k from the day i drove it out the showroom. Gm said it was normal... i have to check the tsb's to see if tapping/tickin noise is on there
Old 10-25-2016 | 08:58 PM
Teching In

I picked up an 99 LS1 dirt cheap a month ago...it had been ticking but ran fine. Owner was a little OCD and "self conscious" about it so he had the motor pulled and swapped out with an Aluminum 5.3 (Thats a whole nuther story)...but I ended up with great deal...Anywho, pulled it apart this past weekend...found the tick... Lifter rolls smooth as glass...
Attached Thumbnails Ls1 ticking slapping noise with video-3exhast.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ls1 ticking slapping noise with video