Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Cooling issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Cooling issue?

Background: just bought a 134k 2001 Z28 convertible. All stock as far as I can tell. Standard LS1 with automatic transmission. I was told the trans was rebuilt with 200 miles on the rebuild(?). I took the car in to the local dealer for state inspection and it puked coolant out the overflow reservoir after it was parked. I did play with the gears a little driving there just to see the difference in torque by manually shifting and keeping it in gear longer. It did pass inspection but driving home later it puked a little more when I stopped for something to eat.

The next day I changed the thermostat (185) and topped off the radiator with fresh coolant. I let it idle for about 10 minutes with no problems. The temp gauge in the dash read normal at 190-200. I did not hear the fans kick in though. I drove it again and it was fine. Held it in gear shifting manually again. It did not puke any coolant this time. But when I got it home and parked it I raised the hood to watch for any problems. It was sounding like I was boiling water on a stove. My other Z28 with a T56, cam and ported heads does not do this no matter how hard I play with it.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this as well? Water pump? Radiator? Worse yet head gaskets? More issues coming?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Quick update: my mechanic friend from the local dealership told me that he has seen this happen with cars that sit for awhile. The dexcool can gel and become a blockage in the block. The coolant does not circulate after the engine is shut off.

Anyone else experience this too?
Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah had exact problem when I bought my SS, owner had it sitting in barn for years with only 45 thousand miles. Just had to flush it and get all the sludge out.
The following users liked this post:
02OnyxLs1 (06-28-2021)
Old 11-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, much appreciated!

I am thinking of doing a similar combo on my 2001 like you did one the 2000 SS. I am planning to do an LS2 with a 228R TXSPD cam also. How does the 3000 stall work for daily driving?
Old 11-22-2016, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ehhh it's iffy, I drive it only on weekend, it's actually not terrible. I also had my whole transmission redone, just finished building my rear end last year. The set up is pretty nice, it gets out of the hole very quick. Never taken it too the track either lol, just a street car because there are not tracks too close by and never can find the time. It all depends on how much you want to drive the car, the number one thing that people make this mistake of and as I did when I was younger that killed the driveability of the car was way to big of a cam and stall. So I took that into consideration when building this one and it's pretty perfect for the most part. I still only get an average of like 8mpg but that cause when I am driving the car, it gets driven pretty hard lol

Quick Reply: LS1 Cooling issue?