Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C/I build thread: AI/EPS/Mamo

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PowellSixO
I attempted to do it this way, but it didn't work for me. I have a slight oil leak from the seal. Since then we've done a few more with the tool, and no more leaks. I mean it's only $39.99 for the tool, and it seems to work. Just throwing my 2 cents into the pot.
Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
I used the sac city tool and it worked great to install. I haven't fired up yet to be 100% on no leakage but it went smooth so I don't think it will. Z that tool isn't that bad of a price and it shipped pretty fast as well.
Thanks for the tip guys. Firebirdmuscle you want to sell me yours since your done with it?

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Sorry, I didn't realize you were not planning on removing the pan, I thought you were taking it all the way out not just lowering it. I guess you can reuse the pan gasket, I'm a tech so I go about repairs a little differently than someone in their driveway. I never reuse gaskets and probably never will. However I have done oil pan gaskets on F bodys and understand why you don't want to, it's a pain.

On reusing the filter, I guess you can do that too, but I just don't see the point of reusing a $5 filter. The peace of mind (in my opinion) is worth far more than that. Besides, when you drop the pan you're likely to knock dirt and **** into the pan and into the holes where oil goes to the filter, unless your motor is hospital clean. So I would take the filter off and spray the pan down and through the oil filter hole with the pan lowered and the drain plug out. Then once the motor was together I pour a quart or two into the motor with the drain plug out to wash out any remaining crap.

To help with that I would spray the **** out of the motor with brake clean to make sure there is not dirt etc that will fall into the pan while it's down.
What should I use to "spray the pan down and through the oil filter hole with the pan lowered and the drain plug out?" Thanks for the idea of pouring a quart or 2 to wash out any gunk. I have a little concern from cleaning off the head surface that some gasket material fell down the cylinders and into the coolant passages. I will do my best to get everything out of the cylinders but how would I go about getting stuff out of the coolant passages?

I spent some time today cleaning off the gasket surface and bolt holes as well as putting the LS6 valley cover on. I also ordered a oil pickup tube girdle to avoid any pinched o-ring when I replace the oil pump.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll be holding on to mine Z. No telling when I'll need to use it again.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice build! Looks like it's coming along.

I've put the front timing cover back on without an alignment tool and been fine but the second time I did it I just bought the tool for peace of mind. It would suck to not get lucky after all that work. Might be able to find them in the classified section also but at $39 it's not a bad investment. I also used grey rtv sealant on the front corners where the timing cover meets with the oil pan for good measure. Saw a few guys on tech here do it so figured why not. Also on the rear corners of the oil pan as well.

For cleaning the coolant passages out and the head bolt holes also, I just stuck a compressed air wand in the holes and put a rag over the top. Blew all the gunk out without blowing it all over the rest of the engine. Worked well for me the few times I've done it.

Great work. Look forward to seeing more. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

I actually didn't use it the other day, I used another method I've seen on here and I have no leaks as of now. I put some "black right stuff" gasket maker along the top of the oil pan along where the timing cover sits, all the way across it. Also in the corners of the actual cover and the held cover in place and started all the bolts on the front to about half way threaded in. I then kept them like that and installed the dampner back on completely and torqued crank bolt. Then went back and torqued the timing cover bolts and saved the 2 on the oil pan that go up to timing cover last.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

I'll be holding on to mine Z. No telling when I'll need to use it again.
Ok ha, just figured I'd ask.

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Nice build! Looks like it's coming along.

I've put the front timing cover back on without an alignment tool and been fine but the second time I did it I just bought the tool for peace of mind. It would suck to not get lucky after all that work. Might be able to find them in the classified section also but at $39 it's not a bad investment. I also used grey rtv sealant on the front corners where the timing cover meets with the oil pan for good measure. Saw a few guys on tech here do it so figured why not. Also on the rear corners of the oil pan as well.

For cleaning the coolant passages out and the head bolt holes also, I just stuck a compressed air wand in the holes and put a rag over the top. Blew all the gunk out without blowing it all over the rest of the engine. Worked well for me the few times I've done it.

Great work. Look forward to seeing more. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll probably get the tool because I don't want to have to take it apart again!

I'll have to give the air trick a try. There doesn't seem to be a good way to cover the passages or the cylinders when scraping off the gasket so some of the gasket material has gotten in there, not sure how bad this is..?

I actually didn't use it the other day, I used another method I've seen on here and I have no leaks as of now. I put some "black right stuff" gasket maker along the top of the oil pan along where the timing cover sits, all the way across it. Also in the corners of the actual cover and the held cover in place and started all the bolts on the front to about half way threaded in. I then kept them like that and installed the dampner back on completely and torqued crank bolt. Then went back and torqued the timing cover bolts and saved the 2 on the oil pan that go up to timing cover last.
The ole $40 gamble... I'll probably just get one then list it on the classifieds when I'm done with it.

Are others using loctite on the valley cover bolts that FAST supplies? The instruction manual is silent on it (other steps state to use thread locker), and FAST hasn't responded to me yet.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Are others using loctite on the valley cover bolts that FAST supplies? The instruction manual is silent on it (other steps state to use thread locker), and FAST hasn't responded to me yet.
Well FAST responded now saying that I should use some blue loctite, but my tuner (who also owns a repair shop) recommended using anti seize on these which seems like the polar opposite...
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

How are you coming along z?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Unfortunately I haven't touched it in weeks, I've had the lifters soaking the whole time thought. I also got the oil pickup tube girdle, Trick Flow timing chain damper, and some other little parts in the mail so I am ready to go. I really need to get back at it to get it all together before spring.

Looking forward to seeing how yours does at the track.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Don't give up on it. Spring is coming fast.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Easy to get burnt out a little. With weather a little better out I've been hitting mine hard. Hope to be started soon. Keep at it buddy.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Well tonight I installed the LS6 valley cover and knock sensors, dropped the oil pan and removed the oil pump. Tomorrow I need to rent a 3 jaw puller to get the crank gear off, then it will be going back together.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Well yesterday I got the crank gear off, And the new one on (had to put it in the oven to get it on). Got the new cam in, new cam retainer plate, trick flow timing chain damper, and hex-a-Just timing set on. Also got the new melling oil pump over the drive gear and am currently struggling to get the pickup tune in it. It doesn't seem to want to go in all the way on its own so I'm trying to get the bolts started and use them to suck it up into the pump. Pics to follow when I get to a computer.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Valley cover on, crank gear left to be removed.

New cam waiting to get all oiled up.

New cam

Cam in with new cam retainer plate, Trick Flow timing chain damper, and ARP bolts. The Trick Flow adaptor bracket was not machined properly and it was a pain to get the damper on, had to use vise to press it on.

Old and new timing chains.

Timing set installed.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great progress and awesome photos.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rybern
Great progress and awesome photos.
Thank you,

I finally got at it again and got the pickup tube bolts in with the girdle. After that I snugged up the oil pump and oil pan to the block.

Next up I'll be moving on to the top end.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

I'm finally making some decent progress. Over the last two nights I got the block prepped for heads, lifters and trays in, and both heads torqued down. Pictures to follow.

Can I go ahead and install the fast 102 intake before the water pump is on or should I do the WP first? I'm gonna get a timing cover install tool so the WP will have to wait till I get that.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

You can physically do the water pump but the intake will feel like it's in the way
Old 03-21-2017, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Darth. I probably do some test fitting to see if I need to get to grinding or buy an LS2 WP. I also have plenty of other things to keep me busy for a while; power steering pump, header bolts, measuring for pushrods...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

I did some test fitting with the intake and WP, looks like I'll have to do just some slight grinding on the WP for the TB to fit but it doesn't look too bad. The 102 intake looks huge on top of the engine.

I also got the headers and the power steering pump bolted up. By the way I was able to do the whole swap while leaving the headers in the engine bay. Was a little bit of a hassle moving them out of the way to get to the head bolts on the drivers driver's side but seemed easier then sliding the headers in and out.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Time for some pictures.

Here's what happens when you leave your heads off for too long... I was able to get it cleaned up with some oil and silicroil.

Cylinder walls cleaned up, block surface cleaned with a razor blade and brake cleaner, I got all the carbon off the pistons with a razor blade, and lifters are in.

Trays in and headgasket in position.

Passanger side head on.

Drivers side all cleaned up.

Both heads on, time for a beer.

Test fitting the intake

Had to bend the outlet of this coolant crossover that I got off a truck so that it would fit behind the FAST. The front one also needs to be bent so it will fit under the snout of the FAST.

Power steering pump mounted, headers bolted up, and NGK TR55 plugs gaped at .045. Need to do some more research to see if I should swap them out to TR6's.

Quick Reply: H/C/I build thread: AI/EPS/Mamo