Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning heads and cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had no idea about the overlap difference in these cams. Thanks.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. I've contacted Livornois and am now looking at them or TSP stage 1 heads.

Rise of Phoenix, thats some impressive power from LS6 intake and TB. I see that you run .660 BTR springs. I was planning on going with those too but Phil at AI suggested PSI beehives over the BTR's. He actually said that the BTR's were a downgrade which really surprised me because so many folks say that duals are the way to go with lift above .600.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The duals provide a little extra safety. But the psi's will be a lighter
Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

I've been sick with a soar throat and taking Clariton-D so ive been laying around the house and studying heads/cam stuff stuff like crazy with a touch of loopiness. Choices, choices.

I'm leaning pretty hard toward PRC stage 1 head work on my low mileage 799's and Cam Motion Titan 4. There are so many choices for heads and cam but the TSP heads seem to be the most economical way to get this done. Heck, all I wanted was to upgrade cams. LOL. Obviously, I'm not looking for max gains, but just a good street rod that will get me mid to low 11's from my current setup. The Cam Motion seems to be right at the upper edge of daily driver cams and I think that's right where I want to be. Cam should peak in the lower 6K's to keep the revs down too. When I do call Cam Motion, they may want to do a custom grind and I'm OK with that if they think I'd be happier.

I'm hoping to use the TSP PAC dual springs w/ titanium retainers. I haven't seen too many complaints about them.

Once my compression checks out good, I plan to continue purchasing parts and dive into this project when the weather warms up a bit in a few months. I'm still open to suggestions in the meantime and will continue studying this stuff.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

I think you're on the right track. With the heads you're talking about, the titan 4 will be close to about right. Depending on how much compression you run, you may want a bit more split, something like 227/233-114 installed on a 109 intake center line. As compression increases you can open the exhaust valve earlier which will help it carry up top without affecting driveability. As long as yo don't increase overlap.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I think you're on the right track. With the heads you're talking about, the titan 4 will be close to about right. Depending on how much compression you run, you may want a bit more split, something like 227/233-114 installed on a 109 intake center line. As compression increases you can open the exhaust valve earlier which will help it carry up top without affecting driveability. As long as yo don't increase overlap.
Not wanting to get too crazy with compression. 11:1 max for me and seems to be pretty popular.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah sounds like youve got a solid plan.

Quick Reply: Planning heads and cam