Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 camaro threw a rod on cold start?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 camaro threw a rod on cold start?!

I daily drive a 2001 Camaro z28 with only 61,xxx original miles that was garage kept since its birth. The car has and intake lid, longtube headers with full exhaust and tuned on 93 octane. I got of school last night and drove it home for 15 minutes I got on it a little but not flogging it, nothing out of ordinary. I parked it over night and got up this morning and it was pouring outside and I go to start my car. It's a manual so I press in the clutch and turn my key over. ON THE FIRST TURN, THE ENGINES CYLINDER 7 THROWS A ROD SMACKS CHUNK OUT OF MY BLOCK. I have never ever in my life seen this cirumstance happen to any engine let alone the strength of an LS1 engine?? I changed the oil a week ago and nothing out of the ordinary with no signs of catastrophic engine failure. Any input would be appreciated I'm just lost on why this happened. Thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

hydrolocked from water dripping down from the cowl, onto the intake manifold, seeping through the injector o-rings and into the combustion chamber
Old 01-22-2017, 01:22 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It doesn't seep through the O-rings. If your manifold bolts aren't tight, the water comes down the cowl to the intake manifold and directly into the cylinder.

But it's definitely a hydrolock issue from rain making it into the motor. Sorry.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks for response, the intake manifold is tight and I don't see how water would have seeped through the o rings being as the car is such low mileage and kept away from weather. Plus the O rings should seal not only the A/F but the atomosphere to the exterior. If that happened it was a such a low percentage of possibility and I have the worst luck.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been on here for about 4 years and read of this happening at least 6-8 times with LS fbodys. Every time it rains I hope and pray it doesn't happen to me lol
Old 01-22-2017, 05:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, sounds like Hydrolocked to me, especially since you said it was pouring rain outside.

Also, when you say intake lid, which one. If the filter is exposed that could of been the reason.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 531 Likes on 411 Posts

It happened to me. Rubber o-rings and gaskets will shrink over 15 year of service no matter if it is kept in side or not. I think you will find on disassembly that the injectors will pull out of the manifold easily.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 161 Likes on 131 Posts

I witnessed this hapen as well to a semi rare trans am. Terrible sound
Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 161 Likes on 131 Posts

Just crazy how much torque a starter has. To just bang a rod out of a block like its nobodys buisness
Old 01-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Damn, now I'm scared to start my car in the rain!
Old 01-22-2017, 02:12 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
It happened to me. Rubber o-rings and gaskets will shrink over 15 year of service no matter if it is kept in side or not. I think you will find on disassembly that the injectors will pull out of the manifold easily.
I would think you would notice a vacuum leak if the o rings can't seal.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

since it happened at such a low rpm it may be easier to see exactly what happened to it.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

should be covered by comprehensive insurance. most have been in the past.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

This same thing happened to my roommate when he first got his car.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
should be covered by comprehensive insurance. most have been in the past.
That would be outstanding, I would try that route!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The problem with these intakes leaking is over time the bolt threads get nasty. So the bolts FEEL tight but the intake is LOOSE. Another problem is with the engine warm the intake expands and seals up fairly well, but when the engine is cold the intake is loose ................... you can guess the rest. I've seen this so many times over and over. Best insurance is to SEAL the WINDSHIELD COWLING so rain water can not shower over the engine every time it rains.

I discovered this early one morning after it rained overnight. I went to start my Formula and it started to crank then slowed down then BAM it started funny. I thought WTH just happened??????? When I tried to restart it no problem started normal but I knew something crazy was going on. SO I popped the hood and discovered the engine was all wet??????? I'm thinking WTH??? why is it wet?????

I closed the hood and got a gallon jug of water then poured it on the windshield...........popped the hood and discovered Niagara Falls dripping all over the engine. I then started looking for the source of this and found the cowling IS NOT sealed so any water just drips onto the engine!

Now its a lot more to sealing this cowling then you would think and it has to be carefully done because even one little tiny water leak can lead to engine carnage.

BE SURE TO TEST IN THE RAIN AFTER YOU DO THIS, WHEN YOU OPEN THE HOOD NO water should be on the engine or dripping onto the engine.

Believe it or not the new Camaros use a plastic cover over the engine to stop this maddnessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss

Last edited by RockinWs6; 01-23-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
The problem with these intakes leaking is over time the bolt threads get nasty. So the bolts FEEL tight but the intake is LOOSE. Another problem is with the engine warm the intake expands and seals up fairly well, but when the engine is cold the intake is loose ................... you can guess the rest. I've seen this so many times over and over. Best insurance is to SEAL the WINDSHIELD COWLING so rain water can not shower over the engine every time it rains.

I discovered this early one morning after it rained overnight. I went to start my Formula and it started to crank then slowed down then BAM it started funny. I thought WTH just happened??????? When I tried to restart it no problem started normal but I knew something crazy was going on. SO I popped the hood and discovered the engine was all wet??????? I'm thinking WTH??? why is it wet?????

I closed the hood and got a gallon jug of water then poured it on the windshield...........popped the hood and discovered Niagara Falls dripping all over the engine. I then started looking for the source of this and found the cowling IS NOT sealed so any water just drips onto the engine!

Now its a lot more to sealing this cowling then you would think and it has to be carefully done because even one little tiny water leak can lead to engine carnage.

BE SURE TO TEST IN THE RAIN AFTER YOU DO THIS, WHEN YOU OPEN THE HOOD NO water should be on the engine or dripping onto the engine.

Believe it or not the new Camaros use a plastic cover over the engine to stop this maddnessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss
If this is true, then when you first start your cold engine, why wouldn't you have a vacuum leak seeping through the cold seals/o-rings? If water can seep in when there is no vaccuum in the intake manifold, then why wouldn't air leak in when there is a vaccuum?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 531 Likes on 411 Posts

The map senor will add more fuel to compensate for the small vacuum leak.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
If this is true, then when you first start your cold engine, why wouldn't you have a vacuum leak seeping through the cold seals/o-rings? If water can seep in when there is no vaccuum in the intake manifold, then why wouldn't air leak in when there is a vaccuum?
Of course you do............ but as soon as you get into closed loop its gone and as soon as the engine is warmed up its really really gone The engine vacuum acting on the manifold sucks it tight. When I removed the intake on my WS6 the bolts were tight and would barely move, the intake was leaking terribly cold. I'll type it one mo time SEAL THE WINDSHIELD COWLING so rain water doesn't collect on the engine. Then you can drive around with small vacuum leaks without having you engine destroyed.

I really don't care what you all think or believe and I'm not going to hash over this. Read my post and do as you like. Good Luck
Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Never heard of this before. Wild.

Quick Reply: Ls1 camaro threw a rod on cold start?!