Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS1 Hyd and Solid roller lifters. . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of each of these lifters here at the shop. They look very nice, the quality is very, very good. We will be selling these, so if you guy's are interested please give us a call.

Thanks,
Old 08-24-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the new lifters.They are very nice,quality is excellent.Call for pricing.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Erik,
What makes theirs better, no out sourcing on heat treat. The shop is 80k square feet with a state of the art computer controlled electric furnace. Morel is able to monitor his processes in house so as to maintain the quality from batch to batch.
Out of the box thinking. They designed and patented the linkless roller lifter back in the 80's when working with McLaren on the buick indy stuff. Now their dual roller lifter in the Fuel and top alky classes dominates.

Chris
Other than the manufacturing, what makes the better than others? RPM range? reduced weight? withstand higher spring pressures? etc etc......
Old 08-24-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Merlin,
The valving has been changed compared to what Eaton, most preferred over the years, had run. Due to the tight tolerance held on the ID grind on the hyd. rollers, you are able to run more spring pressure on the lifter to maintain the enertia damping at higher rpms. This also equates to higher rpm without getting into valve float. 2 well known cam companies did extensive testing on these before purchasing.

Weight I don't know. I don't have a gram scale. Maybe Chris or Terry can compare them since they now have stock.

Materials. Morel has extensive backgrounds in what metals to be used for such endurance applications. The axle, roller, and bearing materials are all high grade alloys designed to run for years.

They goofed and did not send me a solid, sent 2 hyd. samples. As soon as the solid gets here I will take a picture.

Chris
Old 08-24-2004, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

What max seat pressures would you recommend these lifters and within what RPM range? Also with what do you think would be the max total valvetrain weight recommended?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Merlin,
The lifter should take 150# seat and 400# open no problem. RPM range will be related to ho agressive the ramps and flanks of the cam lobe that they are on. With that said this lifter has gone on average 400 more rpm then others when tested on the Spintron. Light weight valvetrain is for high rpm. Hyd. roller engines are not considered high rpm engines. The hyd roller was developed to produce power downstairs and in the mid range of daily driven cars. Is there power in lighter spring loads and lighter parts, yes. Is it a good idea for modified street cars, my opinion no. I would not worry about light valvetrain parts.

Chris
Old 08-24-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will they run the standard LS1 non-adjustable rocker preload plunger depth, or will they need adjustable rockers to dial it into a fixed range like the Comp-R lifters?
Old 08-24-2004, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Merlin,
The lifter should take 150# seat and 400# open no problem. RPM range will be related to ho agressive the ramps and flanks of the cam lobe that they are on. With that said this lifter has gone on average 400 more rpm then others when tested on the Spintron. Light weight valvetrain is for high rpm. Hyd. roller engines are not considered high rpm engines. The hyd roller was developed to produce power downstairs and in the mid range of daily driven cars. Is there power in lighter spring loads and lighter parts, yes. Is it a good idea for modified street cars, my opinion no. I would not worry about light valvetrain parts.

Chris
When you point out "400 more rpm", I assume you are referring to the point before the lifter starts to pump down, am I correct in this assumption? Or are you referring to valve float? Were these tests done on aggressive lobes i.e. XE-R?

Thank you for answering my tech questions
Old 08-25-2004, 05:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Merlin,
The lifter should take 150# seat and 400# open no problem. RPM range will be related to ho agressive the ramps and flanks of the cam lobe that they are on.

That, and the engine's oil pressure and the viscosity of the oil...
With that said this lifter has gone on average 400 more rpm then others when tested on the Spintron.

What where the numbers Chris???
Light weight valvetrain is for high rpm. Hyd. roller engines are not considered high rpm engines.

OOPS... guess I'll have to tell my five liter guys to stop going over 8500 rpm with them...
The hyd roller was developed to produce power downstairs and in the mid range of daily driven cars. Is there power in lighter spring loads and lighter parts, yes. Is it a good idea for modified street cars, my opinion no. I would not worry about light valvetrain parts.

Chris

Ah, you wussy Straub...

To paraphrase Deep Purple...
"Make everything lighter than everything else..."

Ed
Old 08-25-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ed,
Get to work!!!! By the way AT should be giving you a call. I gave him your number yesterday. I'll get you some numbers. Your order has shipped also.

Crain,
They are designed to be a "drop in" replacement for the OEM so I asked Morel and yes they take the std preload.

Merlin,
I was referring to where valve float occured. The new lifter was tested against OEM and aftermarket pieces. No comps lobes were not used, Ultradyne's were. Harold Brookshire and John Reed developed the inverted flank stuff years and years ago.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Old 08-25-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks T/A. The LS1 hyd. is on the left, the right is retro fit for 55 to 97 SBC. Note the difference in the height of the upper OD of the lifter. The axle and roller are held in with radial wire clips, so the lifter is totally re-buildable.

Chris

Quick Reply: New LS1 Hyd and Solid roller lifters. . .