Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Engine knock when warm and put into drive or reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Engine knock when warm and put into drive or reverse

This noise is driving me nuts, i have ideas and thoughts that it might be main crank bearing but at the same time im ruling that out. I will start the car everything sounds normal no knocking or ticking, then after 15 min of warm up ill put it in drive and ill hear a knocking noise, i had 2 gm techs look at this and they both said main crank bearing, but i talked to a guy who has been drag racing for 50 years and he said ive never heard of a main crank bearing going, only rod bearings. And if it was a bearing you would hear it on start up, you hear it when put into drive or reverse not in neutral or park. Im planning on pulling the engine this spring but as a sunday toy i like to take it out and enjoy it but this noise has me worried.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the oil pressure?

Sounds like a bad ujoint loose converter bolts.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

flexplate bolts or torque convertor bolts
Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbandit98
This noise is driving me nuts, i have ideas and thoughts that it might be main crank bearing but at the same time im ruling that out. I will start the car everything sounds normal no knocking or ticking, then after 15 min of warm up ill put it in drive and ill hear a knocking noise, i had 2 gm techs look at this and they both said main crank bearing, but i talked to a guy who has been drag racing for 50 years and he said ive never heard of a main crank bearing going, only rod bearings. And if it was a bearing you would hear it on start up, you hear it when put into drive or reverse not in neutral or park. Im planning on pulling the engine this spring but as a sunday toy i like to take it out and enjoy it but this noise has me worried.
Honestly you might as well get a dart board out and start throwing darts at it. Who could tell you online something someone couldn't tell you in person? IT COULD BE ANYTHING, how that?

Quick Reply: LS1 Engine knock when warm and put into drive or reverse