Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

370 LQ4, Build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 370 LQ4, Build Questions

I have a LQ4 I am currently tearing down and getting ready for the machine shop. I had some questions on a couple of the parts to order. The car is a weekend driver and will see the drag strip a couple times a year.

I'm most likely using Wiesco flat top pistons (-3.2cc 4.030) and 799 heads that been milled .003" and a valve job. The reason I only had them milled .003" is because I was originally using them for a stock ls1 but the build went a different direction. Do I have more milled off of them to bump compression? Also using K1 H-Beam rods (6.125"). The cam is a BTR stage 4, with all the supporting mods (pushrods, LS7 lifters, BRT dual springs, comp cams trunion bearing upgrade, milling oil pump, slp double-rolling timing chain).

What head gaskets do you recommend?
What size injectors? I may run nitrous in the future, but not this year. Leaning towards the 42 lb. Racetronix. Or do you recommend anything else?

Sorry for all the questions, first build so I want to make sure I'm doing it right before I spend even more money. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

You may have to wait until the short block is assembled to determine the head gasket thickness you'll need, so that can be delayed for a later time. Get connected to a very reputable machinist/shop and they will help you to decide the many questions you have.
42' s are perfect, use a Bronze bushing trunion kit, is that cam ok for stock rockers?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

The BTR Stage IV will be testing the stock rockers with as much lift as that cam has. Much over .600 makes the rockers scrub the valve tips.
Also, you might consider using a bronze bushing upgrade rather than the Comp one, as the trunnions are showing premature wear in many cases. Just a heads-up....

Quick Reply: 370 LQ4, Build Questions