Sponsored by:

Scat Crank Keyway on Stock Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scat Crank Keyway on Stock Harmonic Balancer

Hey guys,

So just about install my brand new ls1 harmonic balancer on my motor when I noticed a keyway on the SCAT crank. Was wondering if I need a keyway with a stock balancer on my stroker motor. Nothing crazy for HP, hoping for around 600, no supercharger or spray yet. I researched this and seems to be some for and some against. If I need one, where can I get one and what is the part number, also please keep in mind I am in Canada. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

The stock dampener doesn't have a groove for a keyway so you can't use it with it in the crank. Aftermarket dempeners will have that groove, but it isn't really necessary unless you have a supercharger.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

You can buy "Keyway Stock" at most big auto parts stores, farm tractor supply stores, Its sold in 6" or so long pieces and in various width/thicknesses. You cut the length off you need,
You'll need to measure the depth and width of the keyway in both the crank and pull and do the math to get your size, they can be filed with a GOOD machinists file or you can have them ground at a machine shop if you want a really nice finish. I use them because it makes me feel better that my timing mark isn't moving. You can also grind offset keys if you need to align the timing mark to the crank and make sure its dead on, it will allow a degree or 2 offset.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Scat Crank Keyway on Stock Harmonic Balancer