Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam bearing install

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam bearing install

I installed cam bearings recently into my lq4 which is on the engine stand. A friend of mine mentioned that each bearing might be for a specific location in the block. Is this true? All of them went in with some force. None just fell right in and none required excessive force. Do I need to be worried?
Old 06-24-2017, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, they have a specific location. 3 Different, The 2 end one's are the same Then the 2 after that are the same, then the middle one
is it's own.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:26 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Yep, it's true.

If you bought durabonds, it says on the box which ones go where.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Guess I'll be knocking cam bearings out tomorrow. Thanks guys
Old 06-25-2017, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a good tool to remove the Cam Bearings, just be careful removing them or you will be purchasing another new set. I learned the hard way how easy they are to nick, scratch, and/or dent while removing/installing them.

Like Mentioned above, Durabond and most major brand bearings are labeled for their corresponding positions. Position-1 being the front of the engine, and Position-5 being the rear of the engine, also make sure to line up the oil passage holes. All bearings should fit tight, if they just slip in with minimal effort, double check bearing position then replace.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (04-20-2023)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 07NBSChevy
Do you have a good tool to remove the Cam Bearings, just be careful removing them or you will be purchasing another new set. I learned the hard way how easy they are to nick, scratch, and/or dent while removing/installing them.

Like Mentioned above, Durabond and most major brand bearings are labeled for their corresponding positions. Position-1 being the front of the engine, and Position-5 being the rear of the engine, also make sure to line up the oil passage holes. All bearings should fit tight, if they just slip in with minimal effort, double check bearing position then replace.
My friend has the tool. I have an extra set of bearings just in case though. I liked up the oil holes and all went in tight but I don't know if they're in the correct location. I think mine are made by sealed power so I'll have to check the extra set to see if they're marked.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Looks like I should have left the bearings alone. Bearing 3 will slide right through the rest. Bearings 2 and 4 will slide through 1 and 5. So I had them right since they didn't just slide in last time. Now I went to put the new ones in though and the tool was cutting into the bearings, I guess there was a burr on it or something. So now I need new bearings again and a different tool.

Quick Reply: Cam bearing install