Sponsored by:

LQ9 6.0 Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 6.0 Help

Hello Guys,

I have a 6.0 that I am building for a S10. The truck will be driven daily and pulling my motorcycles from time to time.
The 6.0 has the 317 heads with the factory intake but no throttle body. I also have a TBSS intake and throttle body. Which intake would you suggest I use? I have headers for it also.
What I need help with is cam choice. One maybe that talks a little bit, but one that is daily friendly.
Would like to have 400hp or so at the crank.
I am sorry for the questions, I have always been a Pontiac guy. The LS stuff is new to me.
Thanks for your time and suggestions.
David
Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you haven't taken the engine apart yet, don't bother with a cam, do as little to the engine
as possible. Put the engine in there and get it running, that swap will nickel and dime you
like you wouldn't believe. After you have it running and enjoy it for awhile then do a cam swap. After you do the swap and get it running, pulling the radiator and other stuff for cam swap is easy. If you dont have the throttle body for the Intake that is on it put the tbss
on it. Don't forget to upgrade the Brakes. Just my .02
Old 07-04-2017, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Default 6.0

Thanks for the input.
I have put LS front brakes on the front of it already and have the ones for the rear ready to go on.
David
Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

my 2ct, doing the cam swap before installing the engine, since you stated that what you want to do , is a lot easier . you roll the engine upside down and the lifters cant fall into the pan . BDTurnKey engines swap and tune a lot of these . look at their SS cam swap and see if this fits in your build.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Cant go wrong with Brian Tooley Racing or Straub Technologies camshafts. They can even custom grind you a cam for your specific build for not much more (if any) than an off the shelf cam.
As far as intake, if you're going to keep the 317 heads, you're going to want to go LS1 or LS6 cathedral port intake. If you can fit the truck intake in the s10, they actually flow air very well - possibly better than the LS1/LS6 intake. Most do not like how they look tho. Some people shave them too to try to make them more aesthetically pleasing.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,524 Posts

If you use the truck intake, don't sweat the looks. The hood is closed most of the time. Besides, if you DO smoke someone and show them the motor, it will be on THEM that they got beat by a homely manifold. Anyone who KNOWS, knows that looks aren't everything.... lol
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Default 6.0

Originally Posted by MoarPower
Cant go wrong with Brian Tooley Racing or Straub Technologies camshafts. They can even custom grind you a cam for your specific build for not much more (if any) than an off the shelf cam.
As far as intake, if you're going to keep the 317 heads, you're going to want to go LS1 or LS6 cathedral port intake. If you can fit the truck intake in the s10, they actually flow air very well - possibly better than the LS1/LS6 intake. Most do not like how they look tho. Some people shave them too to try to make them more aesthetically pleasing.
Which intake is better, the factory one on the LQ9 now or the TBSS intake that I also have?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Default 6.0

Originally Posted by G Atsma
If you use the truck intake, don't sweat the looks. The hood is closed most of the time. Besides, if you DO smoke someone and show them the motor, it will be on THEM that they got beat by a homely manifold. Anyone who KNOWS, knows that looks aren't everything.... lol
Which intake is better, the factory one on the LQ9 now or the TBSS intake that I also have?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/20-ls...ifolds-tested/

According to this the TBSS
Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Default 6.0

Originally Posted by slogo
As far as the cam, what are your thoughts about just putting a stock TBSS cam in the 6.0?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,524 Posts

Do you own one? Otherwise there are numerous aftermarket cams that will do a far better job than a factory cam. Here's one- TSP's 212*/218* dur., .600" lift, 112*LSA. It will run fairly smooth and give a real bump in power. A good set of beehive springs will take care of it. This grind has been around forever at lower lifts and is a proven performer.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Do you own one? Otherwise there are numerous aftermarket cams that will do a far better job than a factory cam. Here's one- TSP's 212*/218* dur., .600" lift, 112*LSA. It will run fairly smooth and give a real bump in power. A good set of beehive springs will take care of it. This grind has been around forever at lower lifts and is a proven performer.
Thanks for your help.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't taken the engine apart yet, don't bother with a cam, do as little to the engine
as possible. Put the engine in there and get it running, that swap will nickel and dime you
like you wouldn't believe. After you have it running and enjoy it for awhile then do a cam swap. After you do the swap and get it running, pulling the radiator and other stuff for cam swap is easy. If you dont have the throttle body for the Intake that is on it put the tbss
on it. Don't forget to upgrade the Brakes. Just my .02
+1. I was told by close friends on my swap to "just get it running" and I didn't listen; I did a cam/head install first. Huge mistake. I could've bought a corvette at this point for what I've spent, and it still isn't done!!!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by All Pontiac WS6
Slogo beat me to it. HotRod did the intake shootout to show which intakes are better. TBSS was the winner for performance.

+1 - you'll need a good set of springs with a cam swap.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Default 6.0

Originally Posted by MoarPower
Slogo beat me to it. HotRod did the intake shootout to show which intakes are better. TBSS was the winner for performance.

+1 - you'll need a good set of springs with a cam swap.
Who makes a good set of springs for the LS motors, or should I say, what springs are most people using.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

As far as the cam, what are your thoughts about just putting a stock TBSS cam in the 6.0?
Be honest with yourself, what do you really want, do you want to worry about
changing springs out, having to measure for pushrods, what about rocker arm
trunnions, the list goes on and on, and with a high lift cam theres more stress
on the valve train, not to mention having to keep an eye on valve springs in the future, or do you want to swap the engine and drive. I would leave it alone,
if you must, put a TBSS cam or one of GM's hot cams and recommended springs for whichever cam in it and forget it, stick with the GM hot cams, in my opinion the extra lift in the Aftermarket versions of these
hot cam knock off's are not worth the headache for a few more horsepower.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Default 6.0

Be honest with yourself, what do you really want, do you want to worry about
changing springs out, having to measure for pushrods, what about rocker arm
trunnions, the list goes on and on, and with a high lift cam theres more stress
on the valve train, not to mention having to keep an eye on valve springs in the future, or do you want to swap the engine and drive. I would leave it alone,
if you must, put a TBSS cam or one of GM's hot cams and recommended springs for whichever cam in it and forget it, stick with the GM hot cams, in my opinion the extra lift in the Aftermarket versions of these
hot cam knock off's are not worth the headache for a few more horsepower.

Now there is some good info. That is what I am looking for. I just want a little more [400 or so at the crank] and one that won't beat the motor to death. This truck is not a race truck, just a nice peppy little truck and sometimes haul my two Suzuki M109's.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ls1-engine-cam-install/
Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't want to throw out specific names, but IMO, for what your looking for, the "228" cam would be a great choice in a 6.0.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Now there is some good info. That is what I am looking for. I just want a little more [400 or so at the crank] and one that won't beat the motor to death. This truck is not a race truck, just a nice peppy little truck and sometimes haul my two Suzuki M109's.
I wouldn't waste my time with the tbss cam. But that is just my opinion. They have the same specs as the gen3 ls6 cam with 204/211, .525" 116 LSA. Also i could be wrong but I am not sure it would work with the lq9 being that the tbss is a gen 4 so it's single bolt cam which would require additional parts to accommodate that. Just stick with a mild cam from Straub or Tooley and a set of Tooley springs. In fact they sell a whole kit that would come with everything you would need. As far as trunions go, it's highly recommended but not required. Even if you didn't have an aftermarket cam, they are prone to breaking down prematurely. So the straub reunion upgrade is the way to go there.

Last edited by MoarPower; 07-06-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: LQ9 6.0 Help