Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

112 lsa cam in cali

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LBCSS
What is the LSA on those ZL-1 camaro's? I hear these camero's have big cam's from the factory and they seem to pass, Any one have cam spec's on the ZL-1's, I would be happy with just a 224/224/112 in cali.
I don't know the exact specs of the ZL-1 cams, but judging by the lopey idle I would guess that they're pretty big. I do know that they have over .600" lift, but no duration specs have been quoted.

Recently a C5 owner passed the Cali test with a 224º/228º XER on 114ºlsa. The car has a D1 Procharger yet he passed. The idle is lopey but smooths out above 1250rpm.

It really gets down to the valve timing event and their relationship to the piston position and valve positions relative to rpm.

That being said, could a 110ºlsa cam pass the emissions test?

Anyone?

Richard
Old 07-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
I hate to do this but......................
My '00 SS has a 220º/220º .581"/.581" XER cam with 112º lsa installed +4º. It also has an A4 trans and stock t/c. The exhaust system is completly stock including exhaust manifolds. the car sailed through the Cali smog test recently.
I imagine a 110 lsa may pass with the right valve events...but I'm wondering about your SS above. Did you by chance dyno it with the XER and stock exhaust? I'd love to see the stock TC with a small cam, it probably would still feel snappy at low speeds. With locked verter and induction updates maybe it still could reach 350 rwhp/tq...bet it's a nice quiet daily driver good mileage with just a bit of overlap.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Carvinta
I imagine a 110 lsa may pass with the right valve events...but I'm wondering about your SS above. Did you by chance dyno it with the XER and stock exhaust? I'd love to see the stock TC with a small cam, it probably would still feel snappy at low speeds. With locked verter and induction updates maybe it still could reach 350 rwhp/tq...bet it's a nice quiet daily driver good mileage with just a bit of overlap.
My car had dynoed 349rwhp and 350rwtq with heads and cam and an air lid. The exhaust system is SLP's dual/dual factory install and is completly stock including CATS and the wimpy Y pipe. Idle in park is slightly lopey, but smoothes out in gear and is almost undetectable when the AC is on. I consider the car very pedal responsive at all speeds in all gears with the converter locked or unlocked. The gas mileage is between 18-19mpg with 3.42 gears. It's such a fun daily driver I hate to mess with it much more with the exception of LT headers. I'm now waiting for my Hedman headers to get back from the coaters. They should make an interesting addition since they're a small dia stepped LT header. I'm still deciding weather to install high flow CATS or go CATless. If the exhaust isn't too loud I like to leave the CATS off so as to take advantage of better WOT tuning.

Richard
Old 07-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Banned

Hey thanks for the info! That is a very interesting combo I have to say...I like the sound deadening that cats offer, it might make for a more stealth setup. The A4 I have right now also smooths out in gear, a little lower than park idle. That combination of numbers sounds aggressive at a stoplight with the catback, but I'm looking forward to coated headers for the sound.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone know if more aggressive ramp rates are better or worse for emissions? The overlap at .050" is not the only factor for emissions.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Launching!

you guys go to black magic?? i want to get a tune there but i didnt know how good they were.so theyre the **** huh?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trojan T/A
Does anyone know if more aggressive ramp rates are better or worse for emissions? The overlap at .050" is not the only factor for emissions.
As the topic of this thread refers to 112ºlsa cams and their relavence to the Cali smog test, valve events can have a big influence on tail pipe emissions. I see that seat to seat timing more than duration at .050" has a large influence on hydrocarbon and CO output. As the valve events are increased in duration and overlap, more unburnt fuel gets spilled out the exhaust valve causing higher HC and CO emissions.
Hope this helps.

Richard
Old 07-07-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002$$
you guys go to black magic?? i want to get a tune there but i didnt know how good they were.so theyre the **** huh?
They sure are. Nick is a great tuner, he tuned my car in fact.

Back to the original question... I went with the 224/224 114 LSA cam. Its a great cam and puts down descent numbers. I hope it will pass smog, not in it's current form though. I am thinking of going bigger, then putting the stock cam back in when smog time comes.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Default CA cam inquiries

OK, just a few questions here to cap off all my nagging worries and thoughts. My original intent was to put in a TR224/224-114 cam in and then they had to go SCREW IT UP and make the 225. Now that I see that although I am in NC, I want to keep my car to pass the CA sniffer since I do not want to be here any longer than I have to. Should I go with the 114 or 112? Is there any great advantage to going to the 225? Who is the best (most likely to pass) cam grinder out there? Here we go into part two, three and four of the question. I decided to take the plunge and go with Kooks long tube 1 3/4" to a Random Tech catted Y-pipe with QTP electric in the I-pipe, followed by Magnaflow bullet to dump before the axle all 3". Is the choice on the Y-pipe a bad idea? In the rear end I am going to go with larger either 9 or 12 bolt, what is suggested? I want to make this a road course and 1/4 mile hybrid with 4.10/4.11's, I am thinking about a whole Strange set up here, am I on the right path? Now to the intake/heads I am pretty damn sure that the LSX is the intake for me but I am unsure on the heads. LS6, Patriot, 6.0, which is the best for me to keep within emissions and still give a good flow? All the gods of LS1 please help with this and give me as much feedback as possible. I would also like to have the regulations that CA sniffer will go by so when it is tuned I can keep it inside the regs. Thanks all for the patience.

P.S.- While working this out go ahead and check this link www.illwillpress.com and click toons, follow that with the Free Your Mind, Foamy's Rant 2 and Almost Serious Suicide, they are great. As a side note rocker arm, rod,spring and valve suggestions?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdfd...p-Dec_2003.pdf
If you know someone that lives in the Gray areas try to register your car there. I believe that if it is registered there you are only required to smog if you change ownership. You can use this page to find out what program you are under. http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ZIPAREA/ZIPLOOKUP.ASPX
If anyone here lives in this area , can I register my car at your house?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ls1Rx-7
i'd go with a bigger cam screw the smog ****'s here in cali. just ask around and find someone u can just pay off, thats what i'm gonna do.
That's what I'm gonna do. It'll be a lil pricey, but worth it
Old 12-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Quick question sence i finally ran into you guys that are from cali like me! Im getting the heads, cam and intake off of a Z06 2003 vette, should i stick with that cam or should i just get the heads and intake and get my own cam? Or would a after market cam not make much of a different from the power gains im gonna get from the LS6 set up?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=ls6+cam

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=z06+cam+specs

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=ls6+cam+specs

Z06 intake/heads/cam will get you 50 hp. A 224/224 114 cam will add another 30 hp. I'm no so good with math. Is 60% more much of a difference??
Old 12-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Linear Velocity]A 112 LSA is almost guaranteed not to pass the sniffer in California; haven't seen one person do it even with tuning, a 224/224 114 Cam is biggest cam I've ever seen pass the sinffer here in Cali.[/QUOI have a friend that works at a Local Chevy Dealership here in the Bay and he does smog's he also said 224/224 114 is the highest you can go when it comes to a cam and smog here in Cali.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Question

Originally Posted by leaftye
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=ls6+cam

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=z06+cam+specs

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=ls6+cam+specs

Z06 intake/heads/cam will get you 50 hp. A 224/224 114 cam will add another 30 hp. I'm no so good with math. Is 60% more much of a difference??
Ok math sounds good-But! that 224/224 114.... are you telling me that its 30 hp on top of the 50? or your telling me that Cam alone will give me 30?? N if your talking about the cam alone, then how much will the Z06 cam alone give me? N would it really be worth the different getting a 224/224 114 over what i already have comeing? Thanks man!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6RAGE
Ok math sounds good-But! that 224/224 114.... are you telling me that its 30 hp on top of the 50? or your telling me that Cam alone will give me 30?? N if your talking about the cam alone, then how much will the Z06 cam alone give me? N would it really be worth the different getting a 224/224 114 over what i already have comeing? Thanks man!
I believe what he meant was that the combination of heads/intake/cam is 50. The 30 peak is in addition to the original 50, if you were to replace the Z06 with a 224 cam and nothing else.

But remember since no one mentioned it, a 2003 Z06 cam may yield 50. An older year Z06 cam would be much less at all RPM plot points.

However after talking to a few tuners recently, lsa may have a partner in crime, ramp rate. After all, wouldn't a steeper ramp open and close the valve quicker at all revs? Wouldn't that lead to a cleaner burning mixture?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

CrvnTransAm, thanks, that's what I was saying.

WS6Rage, you said you can get the heads & intake without the cam. Getting another cam doesn't just cost another $3-400 for a bigger cam. You should also upgrade the springs. Maybe just compromise for now and install Nasty's 2-piece timing cover so you can easily play around with cam selections later. If you replace the timing cover, you might as well install a new oil pump and timing chain as well.

Anyway, don't listen to my advice about what to buy. I started off just wanting to replace my oil pump, and now I'm doing a full blown heads/cam/intake project because I want to do things "right". I'm spending $3-4K to do an oil pump replacement the right way. Like I said, don't listen to me, unless you enjoy spending lots of money!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CrvnTransAm
I believe what he meant was that the combination of heads/intake/cam is 50. The 30 peak is in addition to the original 50, if you were to replace the Z06 with a 224 cam and nothing else.

But remember since no one mentioned it, a 2003 Z06 cam may yield 50. An older year Z06 cam would be much less at all RPM plot points.

However after talking to a few tuners recently, lsa may have a partner in crime, ramp rate. After all, wouldn't a steeper ramp open and close the valve quicker at all revs? Wouldn't that lead to a cleaner burning mixture?
SOOooOooO, your telling me instead of getting 50 hp total, i will getting 80 That just might be worth it. Yeah i believe after 01 z06 came with the 405 hp instead of the 385. Another thing is that the cam that is comeing with that set up, is set up for each other, so there for i wont have any issues with the smog in Cali. All in all if im not happy with the power....All i really have to do is dump a 100 shot of NOS n that should keep me happy for a while.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by leaftye
CrvnTransAm, thanks, that's what I was saying.

WS6Rage, you said you can get the heads & intake without the cam. Getting another cam doesn't just cost another $3-400 for a bigger cam. You should also upgrade the springs. Maybe just compromise for now and install Nasty's 2-piece timing cover so you can easily play around with cam selections later. If you replace the timing cover, you might as well install a new oil pump and timing chain as well.

Anyway, don't listen to my advice about what to buy. I started off just wanting to replace my oil pump, and now I'm doing a full blown heads/cam/intake project because I want to do things "right". I'm spending $3-4K to do an oil pump replacement the right way. Like I said, don't listen to me, unless you enjoy spending lots of money!
Yea, WOW that turned into a Whoooole lot of work. I think ill stick with the set up im getting. To be honest i just wanna know i have the power when i want it. I really dought ill be takeing it to the track very much-OR at all. Maybe just for ****'s and giggle's. I just realli wanna be able to keep up with all these new cars comeing out-Like that Damn LS2! N maybe by the time the new z06 comes out ill have a Procharger or something. Another thing from what i hear the LS6 heads come with very good springs-so im hopeing they can handle w.e i throw at them. Ok thanks guys.

Quick Reply: 112 lsa cam in cali