Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA v Boost Build (Can I build for both?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA v Boost Build (Can I build for both?)

Hello fellow gearheads,

I am about to pick up a Gen 3 6.0(LQ4) in order to build my first engine. My plans are to drop it into a RCSB Silverado to make it a fun daily driver. I also plan to Procharge it but it will be at a later date (a year or so).

I have searched numerous threads on numerous forums to answers because I know everyone hates to see the same threads and newcomers hate to see the words "Use the search function". I have found nothing specific to my questions. I have TONS of questions but before I bombard everyone with all of them, I would like to start with some of these.

1. Can a engine be built for daily boost (6-10lbs) but be safely/reliably driven without boost? I plan on "Over Building" this engine just for piece of mind. Stock crank but forged rods and pistons and upgraded newer ls parts.

2. Is it ok to gap pistons for boost but drive it daily with no boost? My plan is to drive it for a year and then procharge it. I will be buying a complete kit once the time comes that will include injectors...etc.

What say you? If it can be done, what do you recommend?

Before you ask: I have no set budget as it will be a slow build in my garage.
It will more than likely go into a truck with the possibility of a SUV.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If your ultimate plan is to go boost, there is no reason not to build the motor for boost, even if that means it may take a while. You can drive the car around in NA form and it will be just fine. It may not perform optimally, but since you'll be adding boost, who cares.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. I was staring to think I was asking a retarded question since it got just 1 response./

So it is cool to build it for boost as in Cam, piston ring gap..etc? I just want to make absolutely sure before I start ordering parts.

I also pondered the idea of making a high compression N/A motor and then trying to lower the compression with gaskets and such when it comes time to boost it. I am not even sure if this is possible...but it crossed my mind.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are 100% sure you are going boost, then absolutely cam the car with boost in mind. Same goes for pistons, ring gap, etc. High compression and boost don't generally go well together, unless you plan to run e85. It also depends on how much boost you plan to throw at it. I think you first need to come to a 100% complete decision on whether you want a boosted application, or a high compression NA application. The way you'll build the two will be very different.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man. I am going to need more experience and advice along the way and I hope I can get it here. I picked up my LQ4 today. Was surprised to find that the 02 LQ4 was DBW. I assumed all 02's were DBC.

Quick Reply: NA v Boost Build (Can I build for both?)