Sponsored by:

Ticking Noise After New Cam, Rods, Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Noise After New Cam, Rods, Springs

Hey Guys,

I've had my car back from the shop for about 8 weeks now. They installed a new BTR cam, springs, rods and dyno'd it. (I had had new Morel 5315 lifters, a high volume oil pump and a cam installed about 6 or so months prior to that). Before it went in it had not been making any noises even with a cam already installed. Since a few days after getting it back I have been hearing a light ticking sound similar to the sound of a bad lifter, but fainter. I know that sound because that's why the 5315's went in. I run 10-40W and it's been 90-105 degrees this summer since I've gotten the car back. I've ran it like you would think and haven't hit the rev limiter but maybe once since I've gotten it back. I spoke with the guy that tuned it and he said it will definitely have a louder valvetrain (but my past cam didn't make near that kind of noise, if any). He said trying different rods may help. Also, the car has Kook's LT's and an O/R Y hooked to SLP LM1 so it's LOUD but there seems to be a pulsating? sound coming from the exhaust which is why I originally thought it might be a valve issue. I moved away within a week of getting the car back so I am unable to run it by them. Right now, the driver side valve cover is off. Nothing seemed abnormal when I looked at and felt the rockers. I plan on changing the oil this week and will be taking a look inside the filter. I can't imagine it's a bad lifter but I'm not sure at this point. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Common noise for cams with fairly aggressive lobes.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same story here. That ticking noise, everyone said was common. After 10K all my intake valve stems were a different height. Machinist blames it on improper pushrod length.... Just do your homework on the pushrod length. I didn't have nice lifter, I lean towards my Delphi LS7 lifters being my issue. Since day 1 I have had a tick. 3 different pushrod lengths later never stop ticking. Till too late.... I had to take off my CNC Ported heads off and reinstall my stock 853 so I could drive my car again in a quick. So I can get the 799 reworked again.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

^Did you check valve stem height from day 1? Not uncommon for worked heads to have different valve stem heights. If you measured and had the preload somewhere in the middle of the lifters plunger travel, you have a different problem. Sounds like valve train instability in the upper rpms.

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise After New Cam, Rods, Springs