Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General input and help with Cam choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Cliff notes....all the hot wire kit means is that you run a dedicated thicker gauge wire directly from the alternator usually back to a relay at the fuel pump instead of using the stock small gauge wiring. The fuel pumps will support more hp if you feed them more voltage, so run a wire directly to the pump.
makes sense. Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 08:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Hardly. It's been done a ton of times, boosted and dry nitrous setups. Not going to argue the point as it's well proven.
To each their own. even lonnie says 700 tho.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
To each their own. even lonnie says 700 tho.
Doesnt hurt that Lonnie also sells fueling upgrade kits.....wouldn't sell many of those kits if he said 800hp was fine on a stock style fuel system now would he
Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

But Lonnie also knows he would lose business if someone proved that the OEM system IS good for 800HP, making him the bad guy. That has not been proven on an overall basis.
There might be a few, but likely not generally.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not even sure why this is a discussion. A fuel pump, injectors, and a hot wire kit have made a ton of power both nitrous and boosted so, yes, it has been proven multiple times.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Teching In

does anyone have suggestions on fuel pump brands? In tank/ Inline? Single or dual pump setup? return/returnless? currently have a intank 255, 8an feed with 6an return with #60 deka injectors. I know the main question is how much hp do i plan on making, but thats like asking a fat kid how much cake would he wants. I want a hundrillion hp....lmao! of course we all know thats not possible and im not sure of what this is capable of. Like i said at the top, you guys are the experts that have been doing this way longer than i have.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Add a 2nd 255 in tank and you're setup for quite a bit of HP assuming regular pump gas. At some point you may need to step up to 80lb injectors, but you still have a ton of room right now.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Doesnt hurt that Lonnie also sells fueling upgrade kits.....wouldn't sell many of those kits if he said 800hp was fine on a stock style fuel system now would he
Yes a vendor and forum sponsor does try to sell their wares, why is that treated like their only motivation? Cmon.
Without us there would be no ls1tech, but also idk of any of us saying buy this with no other info, tech support etc. You wanna call lonnie or us and talk our ear off we are more than happy to without any money changing hands. Call some of the othet guys who dont want non paying customers taking up their time...there are quite a few. It was treated as a novelty/joke a while back a few sponsors at the time would answer the phone and if you had a question they would ask for a credit card number first. It would chase away the tire kickers obviously but it also left alot of people butthurt. We dont do that, neither does Lonnie or most others afaik. We are on here fielding questions from parts we dont sell even and on the phones and email also.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by dobberman95
does anyone have suggestions on fuel pump brands? In tank/ Inline? Single or dual pump setup? return/returnless? currently have a intank 255, 8an feed with 6an return with #60 deka injectors. I know the main question is how much hp do i plan on making, but thats like asking a fat kid how much cake would he wants. I want a hundrillion hp....lmao! of course we all know thats not possible and im not sure of what this is capable of. Like i said at the top, you guys are the experts that have been doing this way longer than i have.
How much power do you want to make and do you have an external fpr on your setup? A 255lph pump wont put out 255lph with stock wiring. You dont have to go dual pumps either. In your situation a step up to a 340 with a hotwire and an adj fpr with boost ref would set you up for quite a bit of power PLUS you could prob keep your same inj. Most guys over injector their builds and its ridiculous. You dont need a huge inj to work. Following sound theory is better than spending a ton more on inj that wont let you idle right also. The boost ref adj fuel pressure reg can take care of the heavy work and allow you to use properly sized inj with ease and make tuning easier also.

Total power goals will tell us more of what is needed for your setup. A realistic number.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Yes a vendor and forum sponsor does try to sell their wares, why is that treated like their only motivation? Cmon.
Without us there would be no ls1tech, but also idk of any of us saying buy this with no other info, tech support etc. You wanna call lonnie or us and talk our ear off we are more than happy to without any money changing hands. Call some of the othet guys who dont want non paying customers taking up their time...there are quite a few. It was treated as a novelty/joke a while back a few sponsors at the time would answer the phone and if you had a question they would ask for a credit card number first. It would chase away the tire kickers obviously but it also left alot of people butthurt. We dont do that, neither does Lonnie or most others afaik. We are on here fielding questions from parts we dont sell even and on the phones and email also.
I I have no issue that a vendor tries to sell their goods. The problem is when they seem to want to sell them first thing in every single thread they post in. You don't see other sponsors like Vengeance racing constantly posting stuff in everybody else's threads about trying to sell them things unlike some other vendors. But this is a separate topic so let's keep it to the OPs question. It's pretty simple, he already had a 255 return setup so another 255 and his setup is rated higher than his blower is.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I have dealt directly with Lonnie. He lives close to me, has been in this industry a long time and knows his stuff, stand up guy. Follow his direction if you contact him.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Teching In

How much power do you want to make and do you have an external fpr on your setup? A 255lph pump wont put out 255lph with stock wiring. You dont have to go dual pumps either. In your situation a step up to a 340 with a hotwire and an adj fpr with boost ref would set you up for quite a bit of power PLUS you could prob keep your same inj. Most guys over injector their builds and its ridiculous. You dont need a huge inj to work. Following sound theory is better than spending a ton more on inj that wont let you idle right also. The boost ref adj fuel pressure reg can take care of the heavy work and allow you to use properly sized inj with ease and make tuning easier also.

Total power goals will tell us more of what is needed for your setup. A realistic number.
What would it take to get 700? No FPR on at the moment, I've been running stock intake and fuel rails. I have a Holley efi high rise with fuel rails, and FPR that i plan to install once i get a few of the above items taken care of.

Last edited by dobberman95; 09-15-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Every sponsor is different in how they operate, conduct business, and sale.

Op i assume you are running the truck intake with return style rails?
Old 09-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Every sponsor is different in how they operate, conduct business, and sale.

Op i assume you are running the truck intake with return style rails?
see the above post.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Every sponsor is different in how they operate, conduct business, and sale...
Completely agree....and members who've been around here long enough know the difference between them.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Maybe they arent as keen as they think then.
Ther are quite a few reasons you see less vendors interacting with the forum itself when in the past they were very active. Its a fairly obvious reason.

OP that will work good then. Set fuel pressure at 58-60 then run manifold vacuum line to the fpr vacuum port. When it has 1lb of boost you have 1 extra lb of fuel pressure and so on. So when sizing injectors keep that in mind. At 10lbs of boost those 60s turn to 65s.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Maybe they arent as keen as they think then.
Ther are quite a few reasons you see less vendors interacting with the forum itself when in the past they were very active. Its a fairly obvious reason.

OP that will work good then. Set fuel pressure at 58-60 then run manifold vacuum line to the fpr vacuum port. When it has 1lb of boost you have 1 extra lb of fuel pressure and so on. So when sizing injectors keep that in mind. At 10lbs of boost those 60s turn to 65s.
if you don't mind please explain how they go from 60 to 65
Old 09-15-2017, 10:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

At 58psi they flow 60lb/hr but raise the fuel pressure 10lbs to 68psi and they increase 65lb/hr. You use a fuel inj flow calculator like off fuel injector connections site.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Dobberman95- Scientific fact: Any orifice will increase flow when subjected to increased pressure.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Dobberman95- Scientific fact: Any orifice will increase flow when subjected to increased pressure.
Isnt that what they call "doin it for science?" ;-)

Quick Reply: General input and help with Cam choice