Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 LM7 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 LM7 build

I'm new to this forum group so not sure if im in the right section. Anyways im building a 5.3 LM7 for either a 240sx or a s10. I am trying to decide what internal parts i will need to make roughly 350hp to the wheels. I will be getting the heads resurfaced with new arp head studs and headgaskets. From what ive read the best cam for a lighter vehicle would be the ls6 cam because they produce more power on the higher end but i know it has less torque but in a roughly 2000-2400 pound vehicle i would assume that torque loss wouldn't be a big deal. Would like to know if anyone has used a comp cam or any other brand besides just using another LS cam. The one part im really confused on is what i should do for the valve train because once I swap cams wouldn't i want to change out the rockers/push rods and i know the valve springs forsure. Should i just get those parts from another LS engine or just go buy aftermarket ones off summit. Trying to keep the build on the cheaper side so would like to not spend a whole bunch of money but i also understand its not cheap to build an engine. All help is appreciated.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you doing ARP studs if you are trying to keep things on the cheaper side?!!?! Doing this wrong in my opinion.

Swap the cam once and you will be disappointed with the ls6 cam. Contact BTR or get anything but the LS6....
Old 11-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettmoon
I'm new to this forum group so not sure if im in the right section. Anyways im building a 5.3 LM7 for either a 240sx or a s10. I am trying to decide what internal parts i will need to make roughly 350hp to the wheels. I will be getting the heads resurfaced with new arp head studs and headgaskets. From what ive read the best cam for a lighter vehicle would be the ls6 cam because they produce more power on the higher end but i know it has less torque but in a roughly 2000-2400 pound vehicle i would assume that torque loss wouldn't be a big deal. Would like to know if anyone has used a comp cam or any other brand besides just using another LS cam. The one part im really confused on is what i should do for the valve train because once I swap cams wouldn't i want to change out the rockers/push rods and i know the valve springs forsure. Should i just get those parts from another LS engine or just go buy aftermarket ones off summit. Trying to keep the build on the cheaper side so would like to not spend a whole bunch of money but i also understand its not cheap to build an engine. All help is appreciated.
You have a lot to learn.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 185 Posts

It does seem like you need quite a bit of guidance.
We have complete rebuild kits for your setup for a very good deal.
You dont need arp studs either or bolts really.
For a complete kit youre looking at 699 shipped.
130 for lifters and trays and that gets you a complete internally new engine built for better power and durability.
Cam kits start at 500 and go up. That includes cam and matched springs.
You want a good budget, we have all that plus tech support.

Quick Reply: 5.3 LM7 build