Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 6.0L Head/Cam package

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 448 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunbeam Fanatic

I was only after that sort of power as the car it's going in will just be a cruiser and I wanted relaxed driving manners, nothing outrageous.
you would have been perfectly happy with a hotcam 5.3 then and saved a ton of cash!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado

you would have been perfectly happy with a hotcam 5.3 then and saved a ton of cash!
Almost certainly I would have been, in fact my original plan was to use an L33 and add cam/intake/headers.

However, the engine build was a bit of a disaster from the start. Bearing in mind I'm in the UK so LS engines are quite rare I ordered an L33 drop-out from a large and well established eBay seller. He sells engines totally complete including all ancillaries, ECU, harness and even the electronic throttle pedal. It took 3 months and a fair cost to get it to the UK and when it arrived it was indeed a fully complete engine in good condition, however, due to a "labelling mix up" I actually received an LQ4 not the L33 I ordered! To be fair to the seller he gave me a $500 partial refund as there was no way the engine could be returned and swapped.

To get over my disappointment I went on a bit of a spending spree buying the long stroke rotating assembly, forged H beam rods, forged Mahle pistons, brand new L92 heads that I then had fully ported, FAST LSX102 intake, MSD coil near plug packs, Jenvey 90mm TB, Roller Rockers, complete ARP kit etc........... and then the builder installed an LS3 cam and springs without discussing with me first.

I have no doubt it was built very well, the builder has a good reputation in the UK and he sent plenty of build photos. It's just that he either had a "brain fade" when considering cam choice or just happened to have an LS3 cam in stock and couldn't be bothered to wait for a different one to be delivered from the US. Either way the spend on the engine components are not being maximised by his cam choice so I'm trying to fix this whole situation as best I can.

I did eventually get an L33 so I guess I can use the "spare" LS3 cam in that add an intake and find a way to fit it to my Land Rover.

Quick Reply: LQ4 6.0L Head/Cam package