Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 LQ9 looking to upgrade from 450hp+

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, I never would have thought that the clutch fan consumed that much power insane! what module would you recommend with electric fans then? I had a old setup with the 4 seasons and it kept self destructing. Ill go with the trick flow head 220's and see what i can do spring wise, ill keep my current comp springs if it doesnt make that much of a difference. will my truck intake be suitable enough or should i really make the TBSS intake jump?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent project.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i wonder who rated the 918s to 8k. open pressure would be 343@0.585, right?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

You are at the point of best value right now in my opinion. From here, you spend a lot of money for lesser gains if you stay naturally aspirated.

You can do the heads and intake thing and certainly gain power. After building a wide range of LS combos from where you are now to a 700+ horsepower stroker engine, I can tell you that it does not get any cheaper that is for sure. And, while I understand it is not cheap, going to a power adder is a better return on investment at the point you are at now in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Kaye
WOW, I never would have thought that the clutch fan consumed that much power insane! what module would you recommend with electric fans then? I had a old setup with the 4 seasons and it kept self destructing. Ill go with the trick flow head 220's and see what i can do spring wise, ill keep my current comp springs if it doesnt make that much of a difference. will my truck intake be suitable enough or should i really make the TBSS intake jump?
Do this that I wrote below. You can do the intake later if you want to. I would recommend it but you'll still see nice gains from just the heads.

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
ALL of this

Good points man

Stalling and towing is bad, but if it's a toy I say stall it.

I'm sure it's suffering a little bit right now with a stock stall and that cam, but more compression and better heads may just completely over come that.

The electric fans is a big one too. I took a front end wiring harness out of a 2007 truck and cut all the wiring except the fan wiring out and the relay and fuse block for the fans clips on to our existing fuse block in the OEM location. Then pin your ecm for the 2 control wires and have a file loaded into your pcm to control the fans. That's what I did. Then I ordered the larger radiator required to run the 07 truck fans and got a fan assembly from the scrap yard. My electric fans are full OEM setup and controlled by the PCM. It's pretty sweet. The fans and radiator all bolt right up to existing bolt locations too. No modding needed. Being an HD you probably already have the bigger radiator needed for the newer truck electric fans.
Originally Posted by speedtigger
You are at the point of best value right now in my opinion. From here, you spend a lot of money for lesser gains if you stay naturally aspirated.

You can do the heads and intake thing and certainly gain power. After building a wide range of LS combos from where you are now to a 700+ horsepower stroker engine, I can tell you that it does not get any cheaper that is for sure. And, while I understand it is not cheap, going to a power adder is a better return on investment at the point you are at now in my opinion.
True. Just depends on which direction OP wants to go.

Quick Reply: 6.0 LQ9 looking to upgrade from 450hp+