Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve drop and Head milling

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve drop and Head milling

I have searched a bit and not found the answer I am looking for, so here it goes. . .

I have an lq4 and I am planning on putting milled L92 heads on it. Now, as I understand it, valve drop is the measurement of the valve movement as it is opened until it makes contact with the piston at TDC. I am doing some preliminary calculations and trying to ensure I am headed in the right direction. How is valve drop affected if the heads are milled, say .025"?
Old 12-21-2017, 10:18 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BerwynCamaro
I have searched a bit and not found the answer I am looking for, so here it goes. . .

I have an lq4 and I am planning on putting milled L92 heads on it. Now, as I understand it, valve drop is the measurement of the valve movement as it is opened until it makes contact with the piston at TDC. I am doing some preliminary calculations and trying to ensure I am headed in the right direction. How is valve drop affected if the heads are milled, say .025"?
Valve drop is reduced by the same amount the heads are milled.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
Valve drop is reduced by the same amount the heads are milled.
I thought that valve drop was a linear measurement at an angle to the head surface. This would mean that as the heads are milled there is proportional change in valve drop, but not exactly the same, no? Would you be able to educate me on these relationships a little bit? Where is the error in my thinking? I was hoping you or someone else sharing your level of knowledge would reply- always find your posts useful. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:44 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I thought that valve drop was a linear measurement at an angle to the head surface. This would mean that as the heads are milled there is proportional change in valve drop, but not exactly the same, no? Would you be able to educate me on these relationships a little bit? Where is the error in my thinking? I was hoping you or someone else sharing your level of knowledge would reply- always find your posts useful. Thanks.
It's parallel to the cylinder, not the valve angle. For example, the way I measure is with a deck bridge and dial indicator. I zero out the indicator on the deck surface of the cylinder head, then drop the indicator down to the valve, run it along the margin of the valve closest to the deck, and record the lowest measurement as the valve drop.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
It's parallel to the cylinder, not the valve angle. For example, the way I measure is with a deck bridge and dial indicator. I zero out the indicator on the deck surface of the cylinder head, then drop the indicator down to the valve, run it along the margin of the valve closest to the deck, and record the lowest measurement as the valve drop.
Ok, so you need to measure along line 1 and not line 2 in the image below? I have read multiple posts and articles saying that valve drop is measured by placing the head on a flat surface and determining the difference between a closed valve and on that contacts the flat surface. That would be a measurement along line 2, not perpendicular to the deck, right?
Attached Thumbnails Valve drop and Head milling-head.jpg  
Old 12-21-2017, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Ok, so you need to measure along line 1 and not line 2 in the image below? I have read multiple posts and articles saying that valve drop is measured by placing the head on a flat surface and determining the difference between a closed valve and on that contacts the flat surface. That would be a measurement along line 2, not perpendicular to the deck, right?
The flat surface is the piston in this case. So the edge of the valve contacting the piston.. If you have x distance now, and mill 0.030 then you'll lose 0.030. The head surface is milled at the same angle it currently is, the valve angle remains the same, the head is now 0.030 shorter so the valve is that exact amount closer.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

You mean sticking the head on a square surface and using a dial indicator on the valve to measure the amount of "drop"?

that ends up being an approximate measurement, because of the valve angle. It's close, but slightly longer than the actual distance. KCS i think has the correct way of measuring it. The way you stated isn't bad if the heads are on the car and you know the piston is at TDC, you could always just use a little trig. it's also a quick and dirty way if you are dealing with someone who is a n00b and want them to give you a quick measurement.

Quick Reply: Valve drop and Head milling