Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pickup not lining up with oil pump?? See Pic

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Thanks for the reply. I dropped the k member and took the pan out. Bolted the pickup and new o ring into the pump. The hole on the mounting bracket was about a 1/8" off from the stud.
When I installed it last summer I had to pull on the tube a little to get it to go onto the stud. That was with the engine out of the car.

It was tuned on e85 and had 12.5.1 cr.
Only a few gas stations had e85 near me and they were 30 minutes away.
Plus I wanted to go with an aluminum block and back to a 6 speed. So now I have this L92 short block, 317s, ls6 cam and intake. Plannin on installing a D1SC on it. Stage 3 tick 6 speed and newly rebuilt 12 bolt.
Ah I see, yeah it was a pain when I had it for a couple weeks looking for E85 all the time. I always figured it could have been ran on gas just needed a good tuner to tune it. With a large cam the dynamic compression is lower so it would have likely worked.

Be cool with a 6 speed, but that 4L80 is a bad bitch, he paid 5k for that trans and converter.

Just an update. New melling 10296 pump, new o ring, new cam retainer plate, flushed out pickup tube, got me 35psi COLD IDLE.

time for new bearings I guess

What's wrong with 35? I say run it. What weight oil are you using? Try moving it up a step or two and go with it.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Ah I see, yeah it was a pain when I had it for a couple weeks looking for E85 all the time. I always figured it could have been ran on gas just needed a good tuner to tune it. With a large cam the dynamic compression is lower so it would have likely worked.

Be cool with a 6 speed, but that 4L80 is a bad bitch, he paid 5k for that trans and converter.

What's wrong with 35? I say run it. What weight oil are you using? Try moving it up a step or two and go with it.
I agree, the 80e is would be much better for racing but I had to be honest with myself, I just dont go to the track that much. Im a street/Highway guy. I sold the Convertor & TCI Outlaw and traded the 80e and parts to a guy for a Tick stage 3 6 speed and Mcleod RXT setup.

Im running Mobile 1 5W30. Yea, I thought about going a little heavier in oil weight.
I found out, The DOD towers under the valley cover were not blocked off and could be the reason for my low oil pressure. Hopefully plugging them will do the trick. I do have the LS3 valley cover with the O rings thats suppose to stop any leaking but read plugging the holes is the only definite way to stop any internal leaks coming from the towers.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

I agree, the 80e is would be much better for racing but I had to be honest with myself, I just dont go to the track that much. Im a street/Highway guy. I sold the Convertor & TCI Outlaw and traded the 80e and parts to a guy for a Tick stage 3 6 speed and Mcleod RXT setup.

Im running Mobile 1 5W30. Yea, I thought about going a little heavier in oil weight.
I found out, The DOD towers under the valley cover were not blocked off and could be the reason for my low oil pressure. Hopefully plugging them will do the trick. I do have the LS3 valley cover with the O rings thats suppose to stop any leaking but read plugging the holes is the only definite way to stop any internal leaks coming from the towers.
I hear ya on the trans, nothing as fun as rowing gears and you already got the rear to handle the 6 speed (meaning the 6 speed harder on rears)

I didn't know that about the DOD stuff but makes sense for sure. Very interested to hear how it goes after you plug them. Take some pics if you don't mind, I'd like to learn about that one. How does the factory do it? I'd imagine that the LS3 cover is how they do it therefore it should work... should. In other words surely they use one block but different valley covers for DOD and non DOD motors.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks like you have found the cause.

Quick Reply: Oil Pickup not lining up with oil pump?? See Pic