65CC heads and .600 lift cam clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 12:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Duntov1967
"There's battle lines being drawn, Nobody's right if everybody's wrong"
Buffalo Springfield

It doesn't matter at what point a piston to value clearance issue may occur. A measurement is made by making a full rotation for all the obvious reasons. Anyone only measuring at TDC is doing it wrong. If a valve interferes with the piston it is bad and doesn't matter at what degree it occurs.
You dont measure ptv at BDC though or anywhere near it. In every scenario it is around the top of the crank's rotation which normally rolls through or at least up to tdc. That is a small window compared to 360 total degrees.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
You dont measure ptv at BDC though or anywhere near it. In every scenario it is around the top of the crank's rotation which normally rolls through or at least up to tdc. That is a small window compared to 360 total degrees.
Correct, not BDC but also not necessarily at TDC (0 degrees). As you pointed out the cam degree is the main factor so a rotation is necessary. A sufficient rotation to cover all the degrees of both intake and exhaust valve occurances. We are talking about the same thing.

Last edited by Duntov1967; 12-31-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Splitting hairs over something like tdc though is exactly why this conversation has gone the way it has. Measuring at tdc whether incidental or on purpose happens nearly every single time unless you get valve hitting piston before then. If you do, you adjust and would still likely roll through it after just to make sure of your clearance. You've gotta roll through it to check ptv on the exhaust also so its a moot point there.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Splitting hairs over something like tdc though is exactly why this conversation has gone the way it has. Measuring at tdc whether incidental or on purpose happens nearly every single time unless you get valve hitting piston before then. If you do, you adjust and would still likely roll through it after just to make sure of your clearance. You've gotta roll through it to check ptv on the exhaust also so its a moot point there.
Not splitting hairs at all. TDC = Top DEAD Center = 0 degrees. Valve clearance at TDC can be measured without any rotation at all.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Splitting hairs again and arguing semantics doesnt fix your contradiction. Nor does it fix the fact that you cannot grasp lobe design or include ANY OTHER CAM MEASUREMENT besides lift. You fail to realize that MAXIMUM lobe lift doesnt translate to lift gained at every other duration point AND that you can have MORE lift, but the same or better PTV.
Besides you are wrong on the "one at a time please" scenario of the 0 deck block. I had the cam advanced 15 degrees on the 0 deck block. It has less PTV. You did not ask enough questions and your ignorance failed you.

So clearly you need to step back and cool your temper and learn instead of preach.
You are only showing how short tempered and short sighted you become when challenged by even the tiniest bit.
Arguing semantics?

Lift vs Deck height is semantics now? There's a reason I specified "If all other variables are the same other then the pistons." Clearly they weren't. Why are you using that to try to prove something?

YOU need to learn when to shut your mouth. I'm embarassed you're a sponsor's tech person.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Just put it together and check it OP
Old 12-31-2017, 01:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Your "i can only argue one at a time" vs your "Lift directly determines PTV, at any point in the cam's rotation, period" vs your "no one said x less ptv everywhere due to y lift" should be contradictory proof enough. And your simple math skills of .070 - .050 = .015 or less.
You should be embarrassed to claim you know more than anyone. And that your tunnel vision resorts to blanket statements with exceptions and ridiculous name calling.
You can go argue with a wall and call it names now and blast racial slurs at it and pettily demean it. Youll clearly win there.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Anyone interested in my pancake recipe?
Old 12-31-2017, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by big hammer
Just put it together and check it OP
^ What he said.
Pay no attention to the e-dicks measuring in the corner.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Pay no attention to the e-dicks measuring in the corner.
Said the biggest e-dick
Old 12-31-2017, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Valve to piston clearance at TDC is called valve drop. This can be a useful number but actually doesn’t tell you your PTV clearance as your Cam specs likely don’t achieve maximum lift at TDC.

A smarter man that I can use the valve drop number and the Cam specs to tell you if you’re likely to have PTV issues.

But in the end it’s always prudent to check your PTV regardless
Old 12-31-2017, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big hammer
Valve to piston clearance at TDC is called valve drop. This can be a useful number but actually doesn’t tell you your PTV clearance as your Cam specs likely don’t achieve maximum lift at TDC.
Correct. It only shows clearance at 0 degrees. That is why using the term TDC in one's explanation to determine absolute PTV is articulated incorrectly and can be unhelpful and confusing to someone in the learning curve.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Said the biggest e-dick
I meant i was one of them.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

I meant i was one of them.
Cool. Maybe a less offensive term could be used.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Cool. Maybe a less offensive term could be used.
Its easy to be hard headed. Call a spade a spade. I can be abrasive, but most of the time text and the internet do not convey what is really meant. That should be a given in todays society by now though.
Talking to someone on the phone is often more productive and less feelings get stepped on.
Its not that i dont underatand what the other guy is trying to say and what his point is. It is that he is grossly oversimplifying it to the point where he cannot explain it clearly without resorting to belittlement and name calling.
My point of working from the bottom up is clearly the inverse operation of working from the top down and shows the hypothesis of just lift effects ptv is wrong. The same can be said if you were to recess the valves or use a different head or even flycut the pistons or even use a thicker gasket or mill the heads. The lift would be the same but the ptv would be different. Those are all other scenarios.

What he is trying to say is, if you retard or advance a cam to fix a ptv issue that you are, in excruciatingly simplest form, only combatting lift.
But if the true is the same from the top down then it is the same from the bottom up. That is clearly why you will hardly ever find exactly the same ptv measurement using the same cam in 2 separate ls1s for example. Its not just about lift.

Last edited by tech@WS6store; 12-31-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Its easy to be hard headed. Call a spade a spade. I can be abrasive, but most of the time text and the internet do not convey what is really meant. That should be a given in todays society by now though.
Talking to someone on the phone is often more productive and less feelings get stepped on.
Couldn't agree more. The written word is often not taken in the tone it was meant. Especially in a forum reaking with testosterone. The gift of articulating a thought and not offending in the process is had by only a few of which I am not one. There is no substitute for face-to-face or a phone conversation.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I did my PTV measurements, my tightest clearance was at 10 degrees after top dead center with the intake valve (.040"). Even though my cam was a 112 LSA, my intake centerline measured at 105 degrees. I retarded the cam using a 4 degree sprocket which ended up actually retarding me 5 degrees. Doing this my minimum intake PTV occurred at 10 ATDC (.070"). THis tightened up my exhaust PTV (.112" at 10 BTDC from .150") but was acceptable.

Bottom line: Take the extra time to check it and then you have nithing to worry about.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

112+7 that's new on me

Good thing you measured though!
Old 12-31-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Its not that i dont underatand what the other guy is trying to say and what his point is. It is that he is grossly oversimplifying it to the point where he cannot explain it clearly without resorting to belittlement and name calling.
My point of working from the bottom up is clearly the inverse operation of working from the top down and shows the hypothesis of just lift effects ptv is wrong. The same can be said if you were to recess the valves or use a different head or even flycut the pistons or even use a thicker gasket or mill the heads. The lift would be the same but the ptv would be different. Those are all other scenarios.

What he is trying to say is, if you retard or advance a cam to fix a ptv issue that you are, in excruciatingly simplest form, only combatting lift.
But if the true is the same from the top down then it is the same from the bottom up. That is clearly why you will hardly ever find exactly the same ptv measurement using the same cam in 2 separate ls1s for example. Its not just about lift.
This point is spot on. You can't read tone of voice. Many times text is interpreted through the emotional lens of the READER and not the author. Its hard, but sometimes its best to try to think of the best possible interpretation of what was posted and assume that.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
When I did my PTV measurements, my tightest clearance was at 10 degrees after top dead center with the intake valve (.040"). Even though my cam was a 112 LSA, my intake centerline measured at 105 degrees. I retarded the cam using a 4 degree sprocket which ended up actually retarding me 5 degrees. Doing this my minimum intake PTV occurred at 10 ATDC (.070"). THis tightened up my exhaust PTV (.112" at 10 BTDC from .150") but was acceptable.

Bottom line: Take the extra time to check it and then you have nithing to worry about.
I had this happen once. Cam was supposed to be 114+2 and was ground 114+11. It was the first cam swap I did, and I didn't check it until AFTER dyno disappointment. Lesson learned for sure.

Quick Reply: 65CC heads and .600 lift cam clearance?