Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for suggestions and insight

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for suggestions and insight

I’m doing an ls conversion on my 67 Chevelle. I have a 99 ls1 from a Corvette FRC. Engine has 116k on the clock. I have a new Holley 302-2 oil pan going on and Holley’s new mid mount FEAD that includes all new accessories, pulleys, fasteners, belt, and balancer. Since the water pump becomes the mounting bracket for all the accessories to attach, it is not something one would want to have to remove very often. Fortunately the pump itself is a cartridge that is easily replaceable without removing the housing.

Now for my questions. I figure I should replace the timing chain and oil pump. I want to change the cam while I’m in there so I can gain a little extra umph. So I am asking for input on the best parts to buy for realibility and performance. I know the cam is the wild card with all kinds of choices. I am hoping to build a street car that will have ample power and good manners. I know that may be a little vague but I’m counting on you guys experience to help me out in that area. If it matters I still don’t have a transmission decision or rear end gears.

Any insight you guys can offer will be appreciated. I’ll try to offer any additional info you may ask to help in answering my concerns.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's really hard to recommend a cam with all of the options out there, but I'll weigh in with my preferences. These will be based on the use of the stock factory LS1 cylinder heads.

EPS 226/230 .598 .600 113+4 - Great all around cam with low end torque and ample mid-range and high RPM power

Or

EPS 226/234 .598/.600 114+4 - Similar to the cam above, but with a little more high end gain. May sacrifice a bit on the low end

I chose the above two simply because they would offer great performance and excellent reliability. EPS lobes offer great performance and are easy on the valve train. Pretty great combo if you ask me.

You'll need new valve springs, and with the above cams you can stick with beehives. I'd get the PSI 1511 maxlife springs. They'll easily handle the workload, and will last a good long while. They also have no documented failures when setup properly. I run them on my car.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Teching In

This will be my first attempt with an ls engine so not too familiar with suppliers. So, who is EPS?
Old 12-28-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

ESP = Engine Power Systems
Old 12-28-2017, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the transmission and gearing decision; those cams will work fine with an auto or manual. With a manual you may want a shorter rear ratio to get you in the power band faster, and with an auto you'll want a torque converter matched to how you plan to drive the car. For drag racing I'd get a converter in the 3600-4400 stall range personally.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Teching In

No drag racing unless you count stoplights.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The cam decision should largely be based on the trans and gear choices. Figure that out first then we can help much more effectively on the cam choice

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions and insight